Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93

3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93

To Blaser owners
    I had 3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93, any ideas why that may have occured
    Thanks in advance
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

What were the primer strikes like???
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

There are two causes of this...

By far the most likely is that you hadn't the bolt fully closed. When you pull the trigger with the bolt not fully closed the Blaser mechanism is designed to pull the bolt shut and it will often give you a light primer strike. This problem is especially common with those new to Blasers and I also think it is common on new rifles which are a bit "tight." I've seen people do this when firing my rifle and quite often the bolt pretty much looks closed and the shooter is confident that it was closed but the experienced eye can spot the problem.

The other possibility is that some Blaser rifles were prone to mis-fires. I've also experienced this myself, along with a very experienced shooter who was also a Blaser owner. We were able to replicate the fault and the ammo we used later fired in the same rifle. I have only seen one confirmed incident of this with my rifle, and that was quite a few years ago, but it does happen and it is not connected with the bolt not being properly closed. The solution in my case was to remove the bolt completely from the rifle, though it appears to be correctly seated and worked as expected except for the mis-fires, and re-insert it. After that all was good.

My money says your problem is that you just aren't being firm enough with the new rifle when closing the bolt and that once you settle down with the rifle you will never see the problem again.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

To quote Colonel Cooper "slam that bolt home. Show it no mercy..."
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post

By far the most likely is that you hadn't the bolt fully closed. When you pull the trigger with the bolt not fully closed the Blaser mechanism is designed to pull the bolt shut and it will often give you a light primer strike. This problem is especially common with those new to Blasers and I also think it is common on new rifles which are a bit "tight." I've seen people do this when firing my rifle and quite often the bolt pretty much looks closed and the shooter is confident that it was closed but the experienced eye can spot the problem.

My money says your problem is that you just aren't being firm enough with the new rifle when closing the bolt and that once you settle down with the rifle you will never see the problem again.
    +1, I agree that this is most likely although if you reload you could also potentially have headspace issues. atb Tim

Hmmm second hand ................................................ just maybe perhaps that why it was sold in the first place.

better enquire where you got it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm second hand ................................................ just maybe perhaps that why it was sold in the first place.

better enquire where you got it from.
    Don't panic the poor man - the vast balance of probability points to him just not having closed the bolt firmly. This is not a big deal, it will not require a lawyer, it will not cause him to select a bad back stop, no one will die, no animals will suffer a slow and lingering death and he is not a bad person. It is a common thing to see on Blasers and almost anyone who shoots one for the first time does it. As with any mechanical device ranging from a car to a pen knife they are all different and there is stuff to learn about the particular model you happen to be using.

As Trufflehunting says in his sig line - keep calm and carry on.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    To Blaser owners
    I had 3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93, any ideas why that may have occured
    Thanks in advance
    Common promlem with all Blasers unless the bolt is slammed shut you cannot gently close the bolt on a Blaser and expect it to fire reliably
    Last edited by Mr Lewis; 10-08-2012 at 18:38.

As others have said, you have to drive the bolt home. With practise ,this can be done as quietly as a conventional bolt action. With the greatest of respect to Brit Hunter, his views on Blaser rifles are to be ignored. However if you have a question about Parker Hale rifles, he is the man to go to.

As a RCO, this happens a lot with Blasers, a common operating error.