3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93

Trufflehunting

To Blaser owners
I had 3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93, any ideas why that may have occured
Thanks in advance

There are two causes of this...

By far the most likely is that you hadn't the bolt fully closed. When you pull the trigger with the bolt not fully closed the Blaser mechanism is designed to pull the bolt shut and it will often give you a light primer strike. This problem is especially common with those new to Blasers and I also think it is common on new rifles which are a bit "tight." I've seen people do this when firing my rifle and quite often the bolt pretty much looks closed and the shooter is confident that it was closed but the experienced eye can spot the problem.

The other possibility is that some Blaser rifles were prone to mis-fires. I've also experienced this myself, along with a very experienced shooter who was also a Blaser owner. We were able to replicate the fault and the ammo we used later fired in the same rifle. I have only seen one confirmed incident of this with my rifle, and that was quite a few years ago, but it does happen and it is not connected with the bolt not being properly closed. The solution in my case was to remove the bolt completely from the rifle, though it appears to be correctly seated and worked as expected except for the mis-fires, and re-insert it. After that all was good.

My money says your problem is that you just aren't being firm enough with the new rifle when closing the bolt and that once you settle down with the rifle you will never see the problem again.

By far the most likely is that you hadn't the bolt fully closed. When you pull the trigger with the bolt not fully closed the Blaser mechanism is designed to pull the bolt shut and it will often give you a light primer strike. This problem is especially common with those new to Blasers and I also think it is common on new rifles which are a bit "tight." I've seen people do this when firing my rifle and quite often the bolt pretty much looks closed and the shooter is confident that it was closed but the experienced eye can spot the problem.

My money says your problem is that you just aren't being firm enough with the new rifle when closing the bolt and that once you settle down with the rifle you will never see the problem again.
+1, I agree that this is most likely although if you reload you could also potentially have headspace issues. atb Tim

Hmmm second hand ................................................ just maybe perhaps that why it was sold in the first place.

better enquire where you got it from.

Hmmm second hand ................................................ just maybe perhaps that why it was sold in the first place.

better enquire where you got it from.

Don't panic the poor man - the vast balance of probability points to him just not having closed the bolt firmly. This is not a big deal, it will not require a lawyer, it will not cause him to select a bad back stop, no one will die, no animals will suffer a slow and lingering death and he is not a bad person. It is a common thing to see on Blasers and almost anyone who shoots one for the first time does it. As with any mechanical device ranging from a car to a pen knife they are all different and there is stuff to learn about the particular model you happen to be using.

As Trufflehunting says in his sig line - keep calm and carry on.

To Blaser owners
I had 3 misfires while sighting in my secondhand Blaser R93, any ideas why that may have occured
Thanks in advance

Common promlem with all Blasers unless the bolt is slammed shut you cannot gently close the bolt on a Blaser and expect it to fire reliably

Last edited:
As others have said, you have to drive the bolt home. With practise ,this can be done as quietly as a conventional bolt action. With the greatest of respect to Brit Hunter, his views on Blaser rifles are to be ignored. However if you have a question about Parker Hale rifles, he is the man to go to.

Came across this once when I bought my R8
You just need to be firm. I can also close the bolt quietly but firmly.

The best description for how to close the bolt is unless it sounds like you are slamming a metal 5 bar gate then there is a good chance it will missfire

Now that I have got used to mine, I can close the bolt as quietly as I used to close the girlfriend's bedroom door when staying over at her parents house !! and it will fire every time :D

Don't panic the poor man - the vast balance of probability points to him just not having closed the bolt firmly. This is not a big deal, it will not require a lawyer, it will not cause him to select a bad back stop, no one will die, no animals will suffer a slow and lingering death and he is not a bad person. It is a common thing to see on Blasers and almost anyone who shoots one for the first time does it. As with any mechanical device ranging from a car to a pen knife they are all different and there is stuff to learn about the particular model you happen to be using.

As Trufflehunting says in his sig line - keep calm and carry on.

Ahhh actually we had no misfires on the pair of top end Blasers we had for the morning play time on Bisleys Short Sibera. both were in .308 Winchester and this was before Blasers became the must have fashion accessory :stir: The price tag on one of them was even back then just shy of £4,000 :eek: however to me they both paled in comparison to the beautiful Chapuis SxS in 7.92x57R that we also had to play with. That one I was seriously tempted by but without taking out a loan I could not afford that one either as it was about £4,700 with scope and mount.

Just thinking back this must have been in about 1994 or 1995. The wood on the Blasers was stunning and one had the full engraved side panels as well.

As others have said, you have to drive the bolt home. With practise ,this can be done as quietly as a conventional bolt action. With the greatest of respect to Brit Hunter, his views on Blaser rifles are to be ignored. However if you have a question about Parker Hale rifles, he is the man to go to.

Whilst I thank you for the compliment re the Parker-Hales :cool: I have shot Blasers and had the chance to buy when the R93 was very new to the market however I could not even back then see the value in them. I thought they were over priced then as I still feel the same.

Now the sad fact is that many "shooters" who have problems with a gun or they damage it, then trade it off without telling the gunshop/purchaser the real reason they are selling or trading it. This applies not only to Blaser rifles. I know of a certain Weatherby MkV some years back that a quite known game shot tried selling to few in the club after he had wrecked the bore with some of his experimenting. Wanting a real penetrating bullet he tried some Tungston ones he had made up. of course being harder than the barrel they did not engrave and jammed in the bore.

he however did not tell those he offered the rifle to about this. I only found out by pure accident as I happened to visit teh gunshop he had taken it too who after taking one look at it told him they were not interested in working on it and it was then sent to another gunshop who I believe did manage to cut the bullet out of the bore using a cutter on a rod they made up to do so. Of course the bore was damaged by the bullet yet I understand he managed to palm it off on someone.

BH

I guess thereal lesson here is Caveat Emptor and this applies to anything that is bought or sold. Some sellers are more honest than others.

The Blaser of today is much improved than the one you shot twenty years ago. Go and shoot an R8 or a new r93. The system is childs play. They are expensive, but then again so is a Rolex watch,.............The OPs problem is simply down to user error, or more correctly, a lack of familiarity with his new gun, not a design fault, as you would seem to suggest. I am in Austria at the moment. I let two hunters fire a few rounds through my rifle. Both loved it, but it took them a while to get used to the straight pull mechanism...........

Youre opinion on Blasers is out dated when it comes to the design problems, that the original guns experienced. They are still expensive. In my opinion, they are worth every penny and more.........

Turn your ire towards something else.......

i had that problem to with blasers i have owned over the years..u need to slam that bolt home,it not made of glass it won't break...

Back