Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please can any one help

Established Poster

please can any one help

I need to know where i can find a vet who will dock the tails on my pups, i know its hard to find a vet that will do it unless i have a shotgun or fire arm cirtificate and can prove they will be going to working families, i tick all the boxes just not got much time as they were born yesterday and i only have 5 days be greatful for any help and numbers regards mal

*cough*
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 19-08-2012 at 19:54.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I did reply to a previous thread about a vet in colne, near Burnley who will dock and provide certification for same.
    If you cant find it, pm me and I will dig the details out for you.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Claw clippers, great for tails.
    A truly well thought out answer!!! This type of answer is just the sort of thing that could spell the end (excuse the pun!) for docking completely, particularly when posted on an open forum.

Currently there are vets that understand the need for docking and will perform the procedure. But each time they do, they have to conform to rigid guidelines/regulations, otherwise they not only face prosecution in the courts, but they also face the possibility of being struck off by their own governing body (who have in the past made it more than clear that they oppose docking).

Answers like that simply show disrespect to those people, that are trying to maintain the welfare of a small under represented section of the dog population.

Your location is testament to what happens when politicians and the like, are given the power to make radical decisions based on what will get them the most votes, and not on rationalised argument. Answers like yours simply add fuel to the fire.

HL

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    A truly well thought out answer!!! This type of answer is just the sort of thing that could spell the end (excuse the pun!) for docking completely, particularly when posted on an open forum.

Currently there are vets that understand the need for docking and will perform the procedure. But each time they do, they have to conform to rigid guidelines/regulations, otherwise they not only face prosecution in the courts, but they also face the possibility of being struck off by their own governing body (who have in the past made it more than clear that they oppose docking).

Answers like that simply show disrespect to those people, that are trying to maintain the welfare of a small under represented section of the dog population.

Your location is testament to what happens when politicians and the like, are given the power to make radical decisions based on what will get them the most votes, and not on rationalised argument. Answers like yours simply add fuel to the fire.

HL
    You wont have ever broken the speed limit either I suppose?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

You wont have ever broken the speed limit either I suppose?
    If the procedure is carried out by an amateur it's cruelty.... so maybe a bit more serious than speeding?

Regulations for tail docking were debated in both England and Wales as a part of the Animal Welfare Act 2006, which came into effect on 28th March in Wales and 6th April in England. Scotland implemented a complete ban on all tail docking which came into force on 30th April 2007. Key facts...in England and Wales:

• The docking of dogs’ tails for cosmetic reasons is banned (as is the showing of cosmetically docked dogs who have had their tails docked after the relevant legislation came into force and where members of the public have paid an entrance fee).
    • There is an exemption for 'working dogs' as defined by the English and Welsh regulations to include those used by the police, armed forces, search and rescue, and gun dogs and dogs used for pest control purposes. (See table below for a list of exempted breeds)
    • Only a vet can dock the tail of a puppy that is covered by an exemption. He must see the puppy’s mother and must carry out the procedure before the puppy is five days old (although the vet's decision to dock is entirely at his discretion).
    • If the vet decides to dock the puppy’s tail, he must certify that he has seen specific written evidence that the dog is genuinely likely to work in one of the permitted areas of work.
    • The owner must also make a declaration that the dog is likely to work. A false declaration is an offence.
    • The dog must also be permanently identified by a microchip before it is three months old.
    • It is intended that the certificate of exemption will follow the dog throughout its life.
    • Vets are permitted to dock a dog's tail for medical reasons at any age.

Table comparing differences in exemptions in England and Wales

Type England Wales
    NB. No crossbreeds are allowed
    Terrier Any type or combination of types Jack Russell
    Cairn
    Norfolk
    Lakeland
    Spaniel Any type or combination of types English springer
    Welsh springer
    Cocker
    Hunt-Point Retriever Any type or combination of types Braque Italian
    Brittany
    German long-haired pointer
    German wire-haired pointer
    German short-haired pointer
    Hungarian vizsla
    Hungarian wire-haired vizsla
    Italian spinone
    Spanish water dog
    Weimaraner
    Korthals griffon
    Slovakian rough-haired pointer
    Large Munsterlander
    Small Munsterlander
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I have two vets that will do them it's about £8 a pup

Gadget

Gilmoors on market street, standish, Wigan no problems. My bitch is due end of this month and I've already contacted them to make sure. Just need gun license etc proof of working
    Wingy

Claw clippers, great for tails.
    To sell a KC registered puppy with it's tail docked but no vet certificate to prove it was done legally would also be illegal! Most buyers would know this too. Therefore if you tried to sell them without said certificate you should expect someone to report you and welcome PC Plod to your front door. Have a word with yourself Dan. If you haven't got anything sensible to say etc etc!

Quote Originally Posted by mal mason View Post
    I need to know where i can find a vet who will dock the tails on my pups, i know its hard to find a vet that will do it unless i have a shotgun or fire arm cirtificate and can prove they will be going to working families, i tick all the boxes just not got much time as they were born yesterday and i only have 5 days be greatful for any help and numbers regards mal
    I know a vet that shoots and trials dogs also not far from you PM me for his phone number if you are not fixed up. You will get certificates at time of docking.

Kind regards Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbo 30 06; 19-08-2012 at 18:42.