Gemse/Chamois

Conor1

Greetings from Austria

This morning I shot my first Gemse or as they are more commonly known, Chamois! Pictures and full report to follow, but some basic details to whet the appetite; altitude 2600m, range 240 meters, calibre .308. The hike was not as testing as I thought it would be but definitely not for the unfit. The ranges are quite far and the angles are steep!

Also, it is good to practise drinking Schnapps at 9am!

All the best

Chamois on the the to-do list look forward to your report and pics, and well done:thumb: another trophy for the wall.

Moose

Will post photos later this evening.

All I can say is, is that Alpine hunting is an amazing experience. Bring a sturdy stick and start working on your fitness..................!

Like Wayne I'm heading out in 4/5 weeks for chamois and mouflon in the french alps. I have been walking a lot in the lakes this year to get really fit and can manage 10 - 15 miles over 6/7 peaks in about 5 or 6 hours. I hope it was worth it, though it always pays to keep fit I guess.

Conor1, I have thought about walking poles a bit, did you find them a great help, and did you use single or double poles?

Hi Cumbrian.

Walking in mountainous or hilly ground is the best preparation: better than jogging or the treadmill.

I used a single pole, but going forward I will use two. Normal walking sticks wont be strong enough as you will rely on the poles for support when climbing difficult areas. I am going back for a Steingeis, the female Ibex and some Marmalots at the end of September.

Good luck with the trip!

Last edited:
Bloody hell chaps your getting me worried now, I've been walking the local hills a couple of times a week but work is getting in the way a bit.
My ultimate plan is to sweat and moan a lot and give all the heavy kit to the skinny Austrian who invited me:D

Bloody hell chaps your getting me worried now, I've been walking the local hills a couple of times a week but work is getting in the way a bit.
My ultimate plan is to sweat and moan a lot and give all the heavy kit to the skinny Austrian who invited me:D

Uhhhh.... What is this smell in the air?? Must be something like fear, I believe.....!:rofl:

Wayne

Firstly, Austrians aint exactly small.........your typical Tyrolean is 6`2" and built like the proverbial outhouse, so complaining wont work!

Hill walking is perfect...........fill your rucksack with 20kg of gear and you`ll be fine:D

I shot my 1st and only one in the Austrian Tyrol in 1968.
It was a barren female.
I found the mountains rather similar to our Lake District ones and had no problems.

HWH.

Wayne

Firstly, Austrians aint exactly small.........your typical Tyrolean is 6`2" and built like the proverbial outhouse, so complaining wont work!

Hill walking is perfect...........fill your rucksack with 20kg of gear and you`ll be fine:D

Hi Conor
My friend is pretty tall and and skinny but used to the mountains for sure and he's used to me compalining ;)

No seriously, I'm looking foward to it should be great fun I managed to get 5km in last night across the top of the Malverns before it got dark I was carring a roesack with a jacket in it but not quite 30k:eek:

Looking foward to your photos

Wayne

Will add more when I get the time. Have taken a lot of stick about the hat, but I am unrepentant...........!

Very nice Chamois, good length and you can be as repentant as you want, the hat is still ridicules:D only joking.

You must be well chuffed congrats.

Moose

Shoulder mount...........................its been done locally in Austria. Would have preferred Bill Bartlett on here to do it......................

Waidmannsheil!! Make sure you put a pick of the mount once you get it back from the taxidermist. Out of interest what sort of age was the gemse?

Regards Mick

Will add more when I get the time. Have taken a lot of stick about the hat, but I am unrepentant...........!

Nice Chamois, although I an no expert of them, but to me it looks a nice beast.

Now what you wear upon your head is entirely up to you IMHO. Some folks try to poke fun at my wool brimmed hat. A hat needs to be comfortable and do a job like keep the rain, sun etc off and heat in for winter and heat off for summer :cool:.

Back