Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: overal legnth

Red face overal legnth

Hi, maybe this is a silly question but am gonna ask anyway,i dont know how this has happend inexperiance probably, but the first twenty rounds i reloaded for .243 shouldv been 2.625 with 36 grms of hodgons 4895 but after shooting a couple of roe at decent ranges with good acuracy just checked the remainder and they are all about 2.544 and i susspect the ones ive shot are the same is this dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Hi, maybe this is a silly question but am gonna ask anyway,i dont know how this has happend inexperiance probably, but the first twenty rounds i reloaded for .243 shouldv been 2.625 with 36 grms of hodgons 4895 but after shooting a couple of roe at decent ranges with good acuracy just checked the remainder and they are all about 2.544 and i susspect the ones ive shot are the same is this dangerous?

Cannot say if it is truly dangerous but it tells me that something is wrong with your loading set up and technique. Not enough neck tension to hold the bullets in place under handling and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I think to stay on the safe I would pull the bullets and start again measure you ogive and find out you approx oal, always play on the safe side mate but somebody with more experience maybe able to advise you better good luck...

I depends on what bullet weight you are using.~Muir

(And frankly, unless the bullets bases are below the necks, I wouldn't worry too much.)

Sorry by the way its 70 grn bullets.
    Neil

You don't say if the rounds were measured using a 'Comparator' or not. - I suspect NOT.

It's better to use one of these gadgets if you can. They measure the bullet from the Ogive rather than the point of the bullet. The soft point length may be very variable, the Ogive will not vary at all...On Any Bullet!

It sounds as though the bullets have been in cartridges in the magazine of your rifle and moved in the case neck due to recoil. It may be possible for you to increase the neck tension by adjusting your sizing die.
    If you know someone with a different make of die, you could try sizing with that one to see if there's a difference in the neck tension.

While this kind of movement is undesireable & may prove dangerous if it continued, it will most definitely affect your accuracy by giving you inconsistent ammuntion, so the problem needs to be corrected.
    ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Goodmorning,went out stalking this morning shot a young buck 80 yards out shot spot on with the same ammo, shooting sweet as a nut, should i just use them up and start a fresh?

If what you are saying is that the seating depth is changing when the cartridges are in you pocket or in the magazine of your rifle then it is definetly dangerous.

If you are saying that you made a mistake when seating the bullets and you set them at 2.544 and that is where they have stayed then no problem. If you are happy with the accuracy then fine.

If you are not using some form of comparator then it will always be difficult to measure OAL accurately particularly with soft point bullets. You don't need a fancy comparator, a short piece of brass tube will work as long as the ends are cut square and your caliper can be re-zeroed.

JC

Sorry,if ive given anyone the wrong impression, JC you have got it bang oni have seated the heads wrong, all i wanted to know was if its dangerous?
    Regards Neil

I prefer to load batches of 100 while seating die is set up so they are uniform