D & C Firearms

Paul LCB

Hats off to Devon and Cornwall, my 243 variation came back in 3 weeks, (first centrefire). It is open as I requested but does include the condition that I can only use it with an experienced centrefire user which is not a big problem. Does anyone know how long that condition has to remain?

Paul

Hats off to Devon and Cornwall, my 243 variation came back in 3 weeks, (first centrefire). It is open as I requested but does include the condition that I can only use it with an experienced centrefire user which is not a big problem. Does anyone know how long that condition has to remain?

Paul
The best person to ask will be your FEO but I would think it would be when the "experienced CF user" writes a letter to D&C stating that you are ready to go "solo".
You're very fortunate to have turned round your variation so quickly. I applied for my renewals(co-terminous) at the end of March, arrived this week (2months overdue!!)
Cheers, Pete.

Last edited:
Thanks Gents, I can live with it for 6 months. My 14 year old son's co-terminus grant only took 6 weeks, he received it 2 weeks ago. I would have thought that they would prioritise renewals - not complaining though!

Cheers

Paul

P.S. Whereabouts are you Pete?

Don't count on it being taken off automatically, I know there is a great deal of variation between forces, but I would guess they want some sort of assurance that you are now safe and component to be out unsupervised, otherwise you could not go out or fire a shot and have your restriction lifted. You would then have to apply to have the restriction / conditions removed. Good luck Wingy

My 14 year old son's co-terminus grant only took 6 weeks, he received it 2 weeks ago. I would have thought that they would prioritise renewals - not complaining though!

Cheers

Paul

P.S. Whereabouts are you Pete?

Amazing how it varies!!
I'm about as far North in the county as you can get(without getting your feet wet);)
Cheers, Pete.

Certainly for those I have mentored in D&C the police have required a letter from me before taking off the mentoring condition.

I rang D&C about mine a year after i had had my licence they said it automatically comes off after 6 months there was nothing mentioned on my cert about the condition though!

I guess that there is no strict policy and firearms will, as ever, consider each application on merit. I'll get some rounds on my ticket, give it 6 months and with a letter from my mate ask them to remove it.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Paul

P.S. Anyone using a Howa 1500 sporter, I'm thinking of getting one at the end of the month.

I rang D&C about mine a year after i had had my licence they said it automatically comes off after 6 months there was nothing mentioned on my cert about the condition though!

That must be a new or one-off thing, as I've also heard them say that it only comes off automatically at the first renewal (i.e. 5 years).

That must be a new or one-off thing, as I've also heard them say that it only comes off automatically at the first renewal (i.e. 5 years).
I hadn't heard of that one either, although it has been stated one cannot get the 'closed' certificate changed to 'open' until 5 years of elapsed, in my case the 'closed' condition was removed after 12 months, but that was over 20 years ago..
Cheers
Richard

It is open as I requested but does include the condition that I can only use it with an experienced centrefire user which is not a big problem.

Paul

Is there a standard guideline for what constitutes an "experienced" centrefire user as opposed to experienced deer stalker?? I have plenty of friends I used to shoot at Bisley with who never held and FAC but are "experienced" with target shooting a 308. Equally, anyone who has been in the army should be considered "experienced" at centrefire. Obviously both cases have little or no direct application to shooting live animals outside a rifle range... so yet another impractical condition that is infecting the licensing process???

In my case firearms stated that the mentor had to have an open certificate and an equal or larger calibre rifle on their ticket than that which I had applied for. It doesn't make any sense does it?

Still not complaining though!

In my case firearms stated that the mentor had to have an open certificate and an equal or larger calibre rifle on their ticket than that which I had applied for. It doesn't make any sense does it?

Have they taken off the mentoring condition yet?
Cheers
Richard

I hadn't heard of that one either, although it has been stated one cannot get the 'closed' certificate changed to 'open' until 5 years of elapsed, in my case the 'closed' condition was removed after 12 months, but that was over 20 years ago..
Cheers
Richard

I was told by licensing that it is taken of automatically after 6 months!
I seriously believe that they make it up as they go !!

They usually open up certificate automatically upon renewal (5yrs) This means that you no longer need the land to be cleared for the calbre rifle that you shoot. The mentor condition goes when your mentor writes a letter to say he/she thinks you are now safe and competent (D and C expect you to go out with mentor weekly for about a year)

Any one who has an open ticket really, I'm in the process of getting my. Cert opened up at the moment that's all, Id Be interested If you had to send letters etc to get it opened, many thanks, Tom

Back