Finally, all the pieces of the puzzle are there: FAC application time!

Pine Marten

Last week, I completed my probationary membership process at the BSRC in Bisley, so assuming they'll now have me as a full member, I have all the pieces I need for a relatively straightforward (ha!) FAC application process. I now have DSC1, will have full membership of an HO-approved shooting club, have letters attesting that I've been stalking and will do so again, all of which I'm hoping will smoothe things over. However as I filled in the form yesterday, it struck me that nowhere is any of this stuff required. So my question is whether I'm correct in supposing that all of this will be discussed at the interview. I've read up a lot on this and spoken to many people, but it hadn't really struck me so far that there are no clear requirements or criteria for this process beyond not being a renowned loonatic or scrumbag. Just tell people the rules!

Pine if you are with the Met central team you wont have a problem. They are a good bunch of rational people. All you would need from the is secure storage and a letter confirming you have been/are going stalking.

Before a firearm certificate can be issued, the Law requires a chief office of police to be satisfied in four aspects.
1. That the applicant is not a prohibited person (been inside as a guest of HM for differing terms)
2. That the applicant is 'fit' to be entrusted with a firearm ( drink, drugs, convictions, police intelligence/incident reports etc. etc.
3. That the applicant has a 'good reason' for each and every firearm and ammunition applied for.
4. That the applicant can be entrusted to possess a firearm without danger to public safety or the peace.
If we assume that 1, 3 and 4 are clean and green then the evidence posted looks good for 3.
Best wishes. U Norm

Pine if you are with the Met central team you wont have a problem. They are a good bunch of rational people. All you would need from the is secure storage and a letter confirming you have been/are going stalking.

They've now all merged into a North and a South team, but I should be dealing with the same FEO who checked my security for my shotguns when I moved in. He was easy-going enough, so I hope it all goes smoothly as you suggest.

Given that they don't ask for any of this stuff on the forms, should I attach a covering letter summarising my situation, intentions, experience and training and so on, or shall I just leave that until the interview?

Given that they don't ask for any of this stuff on the forms, should I attach a covering letter summarising my situation, intentions, experience and training and so on, or shall I just leave that until the interview?
I would and always do,then you have covered all bases,keep a copy and make sure you sign and date it, best of luck mate, sure you will be fine.;)

It won't hurt any to have a covering letter with photocopies of all/any certificates, receipts or letters of recommendation.

I'd also advise having additional copies to hand to the FEO when he comes a calling - just in case they go AWOL in the office, (it's not unknown). ;)

All good advice so far PM
Who is your FEO?
I have been in contact with just about the entire team at Trenchard House and they're OK to very good.
best of luck mate, let us know how you get on
T

Let me know if you need anything else from me Lawrence ;) you will be fine, send all the back up stuff you have and keep copies for when your FEO speaks with you.

You will certainly be asked at the interview about anything relating to the conditions you are asking for.

I would send copies as mentioned with the application and a covering letter outlinig everything you are asking for and why certainly helps keep things clear.

I have always found it's better to give them too much info than not enough.

I'm with Met South team and recently since they moved things have certainly improved but, I'm still having quarry conditions issues.

make a lsit of everything you want to ask him well in advance to be sure you cover all the bases at the interview

If you want to get in touch via PM I'm happy to help if I can.

All the best
Moses

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I'll put together the full dossier with copies of supporting documents over the course of this week, and see how it goes. I shall let you know!

OK, that's it, it's all in the post by special delivery! Now let's see if they actually turn it around within eight weeks as they say on the Met website. Woohoo!

I was in a similar situation and just set it all out in a letter, including others confirming experience, DSC1 and other courses etc and made reference to discussions with BASC and BDS regarding the legal position and this got me through the interview and application process to get a licence for a 6.5x55 without specific land to shoot on !

Back