Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can u fire cases with dints caused when resizing?

can u fire cases with dints caused when resizing?

as title says, what are peoples veiws on firing cases with dints on the sholder caused when resizing.

got one earlier when resizing .303 due to build up in die. Dam me for never cleaning anything.

not that big a problem - it's how a lot of conversion cases are fireformed to fit the new chamber !

yes as the others have said.

Use less lube and clean out your sizing die = no more dents.

Make sure you wipe of lube around neck and shoulder before you resize them

the dents are probably being caused by too mucg lube when resizing, these are called hydraulic dents and toy should be ok to refire the case and the case should take up its normal shape

HOW EVER

if the dents are sharp sided or quite big in shape and depth DO NOT refire them as dangerous pressures with your normal load could take effect

post some pictures iof the dents and ill have a look at them

atb

hoppe this helps
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

[QUOTE=1967spud;422403]
    HOW EVER
    if the dents are sharp sided or quite big in shape and depth DO NOT refire them as dangerous pressures with your normal load could take effect post some pictures iof the dents and ill have a look at them atb hope this helps (quote)

If the dents were that bad the internal volume would/could/may be effected and you would/should notice the powder level as being higher than the rest of the cases.
    I always use a torch and check all my loaded cases for abnormalities before inserting the bullet.
    So far all I have noticed was one instance when the height of the powder charge was higher than the rest and on checking it was a result of one 'mil spec' case getting mixed up with the rest.
    I reduced the charge by 1gn and carried on.

yes thats very true and a good way to confirm that the dents are do-able with refireforming there are also other ways to recover badly dented cases but these are best left to those who know what they are doing
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Use imperial sizing die wax. It is far easier to use than the pastes and spray on products. You get a tiny bit on your fingers and lightly rub over the surface of the case. Quicker to use, Less mess, less build up of crap inside the dies. Used properly there is no risk of dints in cases etc.