Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Wire Hair Pointer Photos

German Wire Hair Pointer Photos

There appears to be quite a few GWP owners on the forum -
    It would be interesting for all those who are keen on their GWP's to maybe post a photo of their dog and a few lines about its breeding, what they use it for, training techniques, good points about the breed, and bad, etc.
    A dedicated GWP post if you like.

I will get a few pics taken today and get them up later tonight.

Here's mine then for a start, breeding is Mustwork from imported Von Richtof and some Swedish and Norwegian lines including international champion Mogop's Pinus. I only use him on deer, spaniels for the birds, very laid back, wouldn't be without him at all, he's just turned 4 and has done everything asked of him so far, Munties, Sika, Roe and Fallow, fresh and old trails, I do also use him for finding foxes.

GWP photos.

Hi Cadex
    here are a few of my GWP (Griff).
    He is 2 years old, and his main bloodline is byranscroft back to badger of byranscroft ( GWP field trial winner).
    He is a big dog. to tall for breed at over 27.5in, but a good honest dog that ticks all the right boxes for me.The past two years training him have been interesting.
    He has completed his first season on pheasant (and does not have crocodile tendencies yet).
    He has been working on deer full time since the end of January, and has recently done his first day on pigeons.
    I was going to try him on grouse come monday but he is laid up with a bad cut to his front pad that needed 6 staples to close up.
    Sinbad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colins first roe buck`s.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	18162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griff 1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	18163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griff 3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	18165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griff 2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	546.0 KB 
ID:	18164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griff and broken window.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	18166
    Last edited by sinbad; 12-08-2012 at 21:20. Reason: some incorrect info
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I wish I could upload pictures on my iPhone!

Mobile Photobucket

Good looking dogs lads!

Mine is from trudvang and gavic lines, she's everything I could hope for in a dog, her prey drive is immense and she was hard work until she was two. Not hard mouthed at all, she's only really worked on birds, but I've recently had her out stalking and she makes an excellent companion. She points deer well and follows laid trails no problem, she's steady as a rock and will sit and stay for a long while if you need her to. I'm just waiting to mess one up to see if she'll find the real thing, though, I'm certain that she will. One thing I really liked about her was that when she did go out for deer for the first time, she seemed to just know that we were in 'sneaky mode'. Must have been my body language or something, but she just picked it up. She obeyed low whistles and kept tight to heel without any kind of training.

If I had to criticise something about her, it would be her prey drive, as a pup she was hard to train for recall because of it, she does range far and wide and these are clever dogs, they know exactly how to play you! Laziness on my part really but if I had my time again with her, I'd have her on a long lead a lot more than I did.
    I trained her with an E collar in the end, she's almost perfect now.

If I'd had her first, I don't think I would ever have had the Labrador that I also have. The lab is far better on blind retrieves and just generally better at lab type work, but the pointer can do it all plus more.
    Last edited by Shabz; 12-08-2012 at 13:17.

Thats good photoes nice to see a working dog at work, i have a hungarian vizla dog myself just a year old got him from a housing est to big for the house great dog took a bit of work but nice and steady,

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    Here's mine then for a start, breeding is Mustwork from imported Von Richtof and some Swedish and Norwegian lines including international champion Mogop's Pinus. I only use him on deer, spaniels for the birds, very laid back, wouldn't be without him at all, he's just turned 4 and has done everything asked of him so far, Munties, Sika, Roe and Fallow, fresh and old trails, I do also use him for finding foxes.

Cracking looking dog!

My old wire on point. Out of Bryantscroft and the complete viking. Another of Bryantscroft/Trudvang.

Wire with a tracking collar on.

Great looking dogs! Do they have a good temperament? Easy to control?

Yes and no! Not a novice dog and line dependant with temperament. Do a quick search on here. Lots of threads!

WOW Deer man
    That last photo of yours is the image of my dog.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am