When's the rut finished?

wildfowler.250

Has the roe rut finished up by now? And do the bucks disappear for a while afterwards? If so when do they 'reappear'? Just curious as the fields are finally starting to get cut now and I might actually be able to see something!

Were i am the does seem to be with some small bucks a sure sign that the main rut is leveling off. The bucks will be tight in cover charging there bateries for the winter. A couple more outings then on to the does.

Saw 2 bucks fighting thurs and called in a mature buck this morning so still some activity here.

The rut is more or less finished in my area,in some areas you might find individuals continuing to show rutting activity till the end of the month or occasionally into September, you will know when its finished as you will hardly see a Buck on your ground this state will last a few weeks maybe a month before you see them again
even then its usually young Bucks you will see after the rut.

Personally I will have no more let days for Bucks but might cull a few yearling Bucks myself in September which can be an OK time catch up with yearlings you would like to remove but which would not have been of interest to clients.

If you are Lucky you may see some rutting activity to wards the end of September, the so called false rut, don't see it every year and even when you do its usually yearling Bucks that get involved and only a small proportion of them at that.

all done in my area , did manage to call a cracking buck this morning but im sure it was only because i caught him out in the middle of a stubble field and he was only really half hearted in his approach .

unlike last weekend when they were coming like the clappers !

Cheers for the replies guys! I might take a quick look tmro but not optimistic. What time would you reckon for AM? Be there 4.30?

Cheers!

Rut in full swing on our patch between Langholm and Eskdalemuir. Actually saw one Buck mount the Doe which is the first time i have ever seen that happen. This was Saturday Evening.

Yorkie.

Thanks guys! Could hear rain hitting the window this morning do I stayed in bed..or at least that's my excuse :lol: need to try for a buck once the fields are cut!

All done long time back in my part of West Sussex, if it ever really happened this year :rolleyes: even so quite pleased with this years Roe buck season. And yes I think the bucks go quiet from now on, although if you are lucky you sometimes get a false rut in September.

Was out this morning a doe with her twins in some wheat 200yds away raced into the call but no buck to be seen.
Saw one other buck that did not respond , and had a play on the way home with two more does that did not seem interested in the slightest whether it be the buttalo or cherrywood call .
I reccon it all but over here. DF

Went oot yesterday to check a lads pheasants and went round with the quad and the wee fella and called 3 bucks in.Blowing a gale and didnt get a shot off but rut still on there.Have been there 6 times in the last fornight with no movement and then this so late on.Presuming the weather is playing a big part so going out today without the quad so hopefully see them again.Very stop start and a strange rut indeed but it seems to be a regular thing now.

It seems to be over, at least in North Norfolk. It seemed very fleeting this year - must be the weather.

It seems to be over, at least in North Norfolk. It seemed very fleeting this year - must be the weather.
There was one buck in the Dereham area who was at least still curious the other day. He was first a retreating deer, I blew the call, then he was an advancing deer, then a dead deer.

Last edited:
Back