atrracting roe

tony rentokil

I have about 2000 acres in leicestershire,lots of munites,with,very,very occasional roe sighting.
The roe frequent a large estate,just over an A road thats very close to my permission.
What is the one thing I can do to draw them onto my ground.
Bearing in mind my permission is part of a large pheasant shoot,Regards Tony.

As deerman said kill every munty, the shoot keepers will love you for it as well.

Good luck at this time of year :lol:

Don't agree ,if it was the case how come roe ,red and munty live together well on estates in Suffolk .i have even seen fallow with the afore mentioned deer all in one evening on the same woodland ride ,don't give muntys such a hard time ,the roe will get there eventually ,as long as the lampers don't get em first !:D

We've got at least 4 species 5 if you count the odd sighting of CWD. Muntjac were every where, after a couple of years hard culling, 300 & 200+ the Roe numbers started to increase. I do love muntys and has been said the Roe will get there eventually. It is quite nice to see Red,Roe, a d Muntjac feeding together!

I definitely don't agree either I have both Roe and Muntjac living very happily together side by side,and very often in the same field at the same time,try this,if they do access your area even at night then this might make them stop a little longer.

Martin

Its been said before any given area of land will only supporrt a certain number of animals Roe and Muntjac compete especially in winter depends what you would rather have a given area will hold about double the amount of Muntjac than it will Roe 2 to 1.

Quite a few studies also suggest that apart from the competition for food Roe are not keen on Muntjac and will move away especially where the muntjac population is greater than the Roe population.

Last edited:
Thanks guys fot the info,I was thinking more along the lines of,food/mineral blocks on posts,at a height for roe not muntjac?

got to be honest, haven't a clue..... deer do funny things and when it comes to attracting them be careful because the munties will be there first if that's your primary species at the ground.

Thanks guys fot the info,I was thinking more along the lines of,food/mineral blocks on posts,at a height for roe not muntjac?
Mineral blocks = they wash down the stump or stick where they are positioned on and after the rains soak into them so it will then draw all species regardless of animals height, which is ok.
Normally roe will re-inhabit a vacuum as they are very territorial beasts so I am surprised you have none as the rule of thumb is 10 roe per 100 hectares. Are you really sure they are not there, perhaps you have just not seen them yet?
Martin

Back