Thread: Midge Patches...do they work?

Midge Patches...do they work?

Was on the McLeods of Tain site and noticed something called midge patches.
    Anyone got any experience of using them?

fraser

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Not for a one off evening , but combined with all the other products out there theyre and extra bit of prevention/ reduction - used em for the last few years in Kintyre, but only when out for a few days on the trot. They'll also help keep the ticks off, use them for a day before you go out for maximum effect, and you'll notice you start to give off a bit of a strange whiff....

may try those! I don't tend to have any issues getting bitten... smidge or jungle formula works for me but the buggars really pig me off and when sitting in a high seat or hide I end up wearing a net so I'm not breathing them in but then it's difficult to glass effectively or see clearly through my scope, or drink coffee etc!

I've had a thermacell for a couple of years but have always been a little sceptical and have used it half heartedly getting annoyed when there was still a cloud of midges after 5 mins so... it hasn't seen much use!

I was up in Scotland last week, staked out under a tree in an ambush point, as usual, being plagued by the little buggars (not bitten but I find breathing them in through my nostrils worse anyway!) so... head net on, constantly brushing them off my hands etc.. I fired the Thermacell up and sat it down close to me and up wind and completely forgot about it.. 30 mins later, I was aware that there were absolutely no midges anywhere near me so, off with the head net and I spend a very comfortable insect free couple of hours there (and bagged a buck!)

Tried the Thermacell later that day in another spot and low and behold... after about 30 mins... not a midge in sight! So... I'm now a convert, I just wasn't giving it enough time! Only good if you are static but wow!

No experience but find Jungle Formula/brewers yeast tablets works. I've also heard that the odourless garlic tablets help too

No experience but Smidge is great. I first tried it during the last long weekend in July in the borders. I did not have a face veil on and did not get bit once during the 5 days.

Rick

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Was on the McLeods of Tain site and noticed something called midge patches.
    Anyone got any experience of using them?

fraser
    hi fraser,

i got some last time i was passing but i can't manage to find a midge large enough to put one on yet

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Cheers Bob,

I'm going over to Loch Lomond at the weekend, I'll wrestle one down and send it to you .

All the best,

fraser

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Cheers Bob,

I'm going over to Loch Lomond at the weekend, I'll wrestle one down and send it to you .

All the best,

fraser
    don't send it down big fella they are mahoosive and the English have no seen midges like we have up north

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I lived in Norfolk when the coypu were still around and saw a dead one in the back of a coypu control truck.
    What a beast, glad they put a stop to them spreading too.

fraser

Plus 1 for Jungle Formula. I also use Garlic tablets and the combination seems to work.