Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First CF

Unhappy First CF

I have a slot for a 243 on my ticket that needs filling. This will be my first CF and a promised act of generosity from my employer has yet to materialise so money is tight.

I've made some enquiries about a Howa 1500 sporter, the basic one with the Hogue stock.

Any comments about the Howa or suitable alternatives would be appreciated. I would like the option of using a bipod but I have heard that the stocks are a bit flimsy and with a mod and bipod the clearance around the barrel closes up, is this the case?

Cheers

Paul

If money is tight than may I suggest you look for decent used rifle. It also widens your choices.

You might like to have a look at this in the classifieds:-

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-Habicht-Scope

Package with a good scope on it too.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 13-08-2012 at 09:28.

if money is tight why buy new?

The market is flooded with little used .243's of excellent quality and superior build than many new versions.
    there are 400 to choose from on Guntrader alone, many under 300. Try the classifieds and you will get lots more

I just sold my Parker Hale .243 for 200.
    might not match the stainless laminate bling of others but shot better than I could

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/results.php?fetch=Results&Filter[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.243&Filter[Calibre][]=.243%20Win&Filter[Calibre][]=.243%20Winchester&sortField=Price&sortOrder=asc&p erPage=441

cheap Synth stocks are exactly that, cheap. a decent walnut stock well oiled and looked after will shoot better and last longer than a crap placcy one.

Visit a few gunshops, try one for "size" and I mean size, not looks.
    then learn to shoot it well

Don't throw money into it and become one the "all the gear and no idea" people.

Thanks for the comments, I'm concerned about buying a "shot out" barrel if I go second hand.

I would also be concerned with shot out or scewed up rifles.
    I have searched our gun shops for a shot out 220 swift or 243 for the last ten years.
    There does not seem to be such a thing. Very worn bolts on remmies in 220 swift are still sold at
    80% of the new price.....I would not trust one gun dealer. All you here is "done nothing"...
    If you have someone with a borescope fine. Or if you know and trust the previous owner fine.
    Otherwise buy new.
    It does not have to be stainless nor synthetik.
    A howa is a good rifle. Try find a good deal.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LCB View Post
    Thanks for the comments, I'm concerned about buying a "shot out" barrel if I go second hand.
    look for one that has been looked after. view the bore from the muzzle end with your eye very close to the crown and the bore against natural light. You will be surprised how much you can see.
    good crown and good rifling can be seen without the use of a borescope

take someone who knows a bit with you

most rifles will outlast their owners and a stalking rifle that have fired the required 2, 3 or 4000 shots to be shot out will probably look like it has done just that

I have a slot for a 243 on my ticket that needs filling. This will be my first CF and a promised act of generosity from my employer has yet to materialise so money is tight.

I've made some enquiries about a Howa 1500 sporter, the basic one with the Hogue stock.

Any comments about the Howa or suitable alternatives would be appreciated. I would like the option of using a bipod but I have heard that the stocks are a bit flimsy and with a mod and bipod the clearance around the barrel closes up, is this the case?

Cheers

Paul
    I had a Hogue stock on my Howa, yes it is flimsy, but I never had any problems with it and a bipod and mod, if you buy the sporter profile barrel, there is plenty of room as you can hog out the channel by removing the varmint barrel filler, also Boyds stocks are available cheaply from the States.if you don't mind a day out, then get upcountry to Ivythorn sporting Steve is a real gent and has a 100M range where you can try out any prospects.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Sorry but in all my years i have come across two genuine shot out barrels and one of them I am still not convinced about. I did get a damaged barrel in the 25096 I brought used. The damage is heat crazing or cracking and it extends about 10" (254mm) up the bore from the breech however we have found some bullets and loads that will still shoot under MOA so it would be a few years yet before a new barrel would be required.

The one I am sure was shot out was on a .303 P-14 Eddystone and there was no rifling left for at least 6" in front of the chamber. Cordite was the cause and many .............................. MANY rounds down the bore. I shot several thousand through it after I acquired it very well "used". I retired it after it would no longer group in the NINE ring of the NRA Bisley targets at 200 yards. God only knows how many rounds had been down the bore.

Now .243 like the 25-06 is a hot cartridge and not the kindest to throats but after a bore clean the throat wear can be judged without a bore scope. Most decent vendors would let you try the rifle I would have thought.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...00809212046102

Although I have never had any dealings with Steve at Ivythorn I have only ever seen good, positive, comments about him on these forums. The rifle in tat like looks almost new the only fault is that it's a model 1000 and not a 1200 as listed. A common mistake I am afraid.

Now that rifle has an adjustable trigger which was standard on them. I feel sure Steve would give an honest appraisal.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...20803114044001

This actually looks like a ZKK 601 once again the trade is not good at correctly model ID a lot of the time.

Another example of an almost new unused rifel:-

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...20731174754870

A Parker-Hale 1100 LWt this time. For 200 .

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...01213135625001

Brno ZKK 601 again.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...20210130310281

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...20717131204414

One of Norma Clark builds it looks like. he brought a lot of stock from the P-H auction.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...20724160119001

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-...20306150131001

Another with an excellent scope in the deal.

Now as you can see I just trawled down the Guntrader list and tried to only look at those in your region. At the lower end of the prices there are a lot of Parker-Hale rifles. Remember stalking rifles don't really get shot that much. I am sure with a bit of care and careful examination you would do fine choosing a used rifle.

Get one that feels good to you when you shoulder it and which the sights align with your eye right off. Having to hunt for the sight picture means poor fit somewhere.

Oh yes perhaps it might help to put my earlier comments into context about the number of rifles with noticeably worn bores ............ I have brought and owned about 65 rifles so finding two out of that number is not bad especially when you consider I started off mostly with Lee Enfields.

Cheers

Paul
    I owned a new Howa sporter with green hogue stock mate . . . . the stock isnt the best and initially I had issues with it holding zero . . . .I had it glass bedded and a trigger job done and it completely transformed it, it shot a treatfrom then on.
    Its not a bad smoke pole for the money the Howa, and with a little fettling can be a great rifle.

Nevertheless, like what some of the other posts have said, I would go for a decent second hand tikka for the same money.

In terms of a second hand rifle being shot out - you would have to be putting a hell of rounds down the pipe in .243 to burn it out.
    Last edited by Cadex; 13-08-2012 at 15:42.

Got to agree with Brithunter parker hales are a bargain and they quite often come with really decent
    scopes and rings ,i brought a 30-06 1200 with a S&B 8X56 for 350