Reloader 19 or 22

MONGOOSE

Hi guys what would you say would be the best for 6.5x55 I use mostly 120g heads and have been using r22 but my mates say that would be the choice for the heavier loads 140g+ would the experienced reloaders tend to agree and should I go for r19 when I buy my next tub? Cheers

Oooooo! That strikes close to home!! I had a fellow yesterday tell me that the IMR 7828 SSC I am loading under 120 grain 6.5x55 bullets is too slow. I get 2900 fps and about half minute of angle. I just said, "Uh-huh" and turned away to avoid any more expert advice on his part.

Are you happy with the RL22 loads?? If so, then the experienced guys can (pardon the pun) take a powder! ~Muir

I have never used Rel 22 probably because I have never seen any for sale. I used amongst others Rel 19 and IMR 4350 for my 5.6x55.

The only benefit that switching to a faster powder that I can see right off would be a few more loads per tub and what with the prices of powder today that is worth considering.

Oooooo! That strikes close to home!! I had a fellow yesterday tell me that the IMR 7828 SSC I am loading under 120 grain 6.5x55 bullets is too slow. I get 2900 fps and about half minute of angle. I just said, "Uh-huh" and turned away to avoid any more expert advice on his part.

Are you happy with the RL22 loads?? If so, then the experienced guys can (pardon the pun) take a powder! ~Muir

Yes more than happy mate can achieve 2800fps easily, easily get sub moa, but even going by the alliant they state the r22 as Smokeless magnum rifle powder

This top-performing powder for big game loads provides excellent metering, and is the powder of choice for .270, 7mm magnum and .300 Win Mag.

• Powder of choice for 7mm Mag & .300 Win Mag
  • Excellent metering
  • Accurate and consistent
Which would indicate it being more suited to bigger loads one would imagine

Last edited:
I use 45gn R22 behind 140 speer hotcores. works for me. not had chance to put it over the cronos yet but it clover leafs at 100meters.
I did try varget but it was cr4p.lol. saved that for the 222. i wanted one powder for both but not to be, yet.

Yes more than happy mate can achieve 2800fps easily, easily get sub moa, but even going by the alliant they state the r22 as Smokeless magnum rifle powder

This top-performing powder for big game loads provides excellent metering, and is the powder of choice for .270, 7mm magnum and .300 Win Mag.

• Powder of choice for 7mm Mag & .300 Win Mag
  • Excellent metering
  • Accurate and consistent
Which would indicate it being more suited to bigger loads one would imagine

Uh-huh...
According to the data*: 120 grain bullet from a 6.5x55

RL-19 36.1 grains @ 2367 ft/sec to 41.0 grains @ 2655 ft/sec

RL-22 37.0 grns @ 2381 ft/sec to 42.0 grains @ 2670 ft/sec

One more grain of powder and 15 fps. at the top end.

Your choice!
~Muir

* the 2011 Revised Edition of Lee's 2nd Edition. Data from Alliant.

Last edited:
Back