Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Variation Question

Ammunition Variation Question

On my licence I am only allowed to purchase 60 x 7mm08 bullets, however I've decided to re-load but the 140 Sierra heads I want come in boxes of 100.

Is changing the amount of ammunition you are allowed to purchase classed as a variation and therefore a fee ?

I'm up for renewal in 4-months so would wait if there was a fee involved in changing.

No charge. When reloading, you could easily want to try several different weights, and designs of bullit, so ask to buy 300, and hold 500 as a minimum.

No fee and you might want to consult the HO Guidance on ammunition allowances as the amount you have is paltry anyway even if not reloading.

Deer
    13.28 The shooting of deer is governed by
    the Deer Acts which require that deer be
    shot with rifle cartridges of particular muzzle
    energy and (in Scotland) muzzle velocity and
    bullet weight (see Chapter 14 for further
    detail). The Deer Acts also require that
    “soft nosed or hollow nosed” (expanding)
    ammunition, or in the case of Scotland
    ammunition “designed to deform in a
    predictable manner”, must be used for
    shooting deer. Deer stalkers will normally be
    authorised to possess up to 250 rounds of
    ammunition and to acquire 200 rounds but
    account should be taken of individual
    circumstances, for example where re-loaders
    are acquiring missiles
    or where the shooter is
    a professional deer stalker.

Those figures can easily and justifiably be doubled when handloading.

+1 for Orion i asked for 250 to hold 200 to buy (243) which i got but the fld put 500 to buy 600 to hold (missiles) persume this is for reloading did'nt ask for it.
    alb Lee

In Cumbria you are allowed to buy any amount of heads, the allowance I am told only refers to whole rounds. My FLO told me if someone tried to limit the numbers of heads that I could phone them up so they could speak to the RFD to clarify the allwance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    In Cumbria you are allowed to buy any amount of heads, the allowance I am told only refers to whole rounds. My FLO told me if someone tried to limit the numbers of heads that I could phone them up so they could speak to the RFD to clarify the allwance.
    Just to clarify, I guess when you write 'heads' you mean bullets.

That being the case, Cumbria are right with respect to non-Section 5 bullets.

However, my view is that if they are giving the same advice nor non-S5 bullets as for S5 expanding bullets, then they are probably giving their FAC-holders misleading advice.
    As far as I'm aware, this is not something that the FLD is allowed to make up as it goes along.

If your FEO was referring to expanding bullets then he'd be very wrong and could be dropping you in the **** - they count towards your overall holding whether made into rounds or not.

Try a forum search for the complete story.

As Orion and Dalua have stated that advice given to you is wrong if he is referring to expanding bullets. The law is the law and remember that ignorance is no defence.

Thanks for your replies. I've just contacted West Yorkshire firearms and been advised it wouldn't be a problem to hold 500 - I just need to send my ticket in with a cover letter explaining I want to reload.
    3-4 weeks to process is the only downside

After doing some research I discovered I'm wrong, as to why my firearms licensing officer told me otherwise must be down to lack of knowledge themselves, as I specifically asked about expanding ammunition.