Thread: Youtube video question

Youtube video question

Just happend across this video whilst browsing youtube mr harford and his friend "kills" "he's left there motionless"the stag and some time after approach said deer and its still kicking 4:16 do you think it was still alive or just its nerves it was hit high surly if you were going to do a video on stalking you would not want to feed any antis by showing the deer still kicking or is that just me

Last edited by MONGOOSE; 14-08-2012 at 17:19.

Nerves. How many 'dead' bunnies have you seen kick themselves back down a hole, even with no head to speak of?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Nerves. How many 'dead' bunnies have you seen kick themselves back down a hole, even with no head to speak of?
    Absolutly agree with the bunnies, but in my limited experience with deer i can say I've never seen them kicking like that after a while that's all hence my question.......

Mongoose,

The "shot" was more than likely taken before and not videod. Only afterward would they have shot the thrill of the stalk.

A 50 metre shot and walk up to the downed animal can result in nervous action after drop in blood pressure to the brain.

We only see the edit. Only those there at the time know the timeline.

I spent 12 hours with Robbo from YDS and the BBC. 6 hours of tape to produce 8 minutes of us....

Stan

Nerves

I shot a buck recently that did exactly that movement
    no eye reaction when tapped with stick at all.

when gralloched the heart was completely detached from the blood vessels. dead before it hit the ground

Thanks for your replies chaps, something just didn't seem right to me that was all rushed shot hit the beast high and it was still kicking obviously looked at it to deeply I suspect....

Well, yes, I've seen that kind of weak kicking motion before in a dead deer, but I've never known a dead one lift its head and look at me, so I'd say it probably was still alive at that particular point. But so what? It would have been the work of a few seconds to finish it off, or it could just as easilly expired on its own.
    The only part of the vid I don't like is the use of the bloody stupid phrase, "up close and personal". Come on, he shot it, he didn't sneak up from behind and garrot it.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    ...but I've never known a dead one lift its head and look at me, so I'd say it probably was still alive at that particular point.
    Is the bit where it lifts its head at 4:13 or so?
    If so, have another look and keep your eye on its antlers: that might explain the movement!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Is the bit where it lifts its head at 4:13 or so?
    If so, have another look and keep your eye on its antlers: that might explain the movement!
    I can't see much antler at that point, but I think I know what you're saying, and now feel a bit daft
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    I can't see much antler at that point, but I think I know what you're saying, and now feel a bit daft
    My immediate thought was the same as yours, so you're not alone in daftness!
    Last edited by Dalua; 18-08-2012 at 07:34.