Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forestry commission qualification requirements?

Question Forestry commission qualification requirements?

Hi having nearly completed my dsc level 2 i thought i'd ask what other qualifications are required by the fc for stalkers?

Cheers
    Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Lots of health and safety stuff, first aid, manual handling etc

Quote Originally Posted by DazT View Post
    Hi having nearly completed my dsc level 2 i thought i'd ask what other qualifications are required by the fc for stalkers?

Cheers
    Daz

Darren your right into the bits of paper ,they are not worth a , it comes down to experience not bits of paper .

Because you stalk and shoot 3 deer doesn't mean you know anything about the species or anything about stalking .

Ive taken out stalkers and completed there level two in one day ,they still haven't a clue and never will.

Forestery commission stalkers have level one and two , some diversify into other areas of flora and fauna .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Darren your right into the bits of paper ,they are not worth a , it comes down to experience not bits of paper .

Because you stalk and shoot 3 deer doesn't mean you know anything about the species or anything about stalking .

Ive taken out stalkers and completed there level two in one day ,they still haven't a clue and never will.

Forestery commission stalkers have level one and two , some diversify into other areas of flora and fauna .

Widows Son,
    Your right, in my book experiance wins over paper every time, and not just in stalking.
    However we live in a world where rightly or wrongly paper qualification are King, and experiance comes second fiddle.
    If you want your own leases DazT you need the paper qualifications.

You can have 30 years experiance but without L1 and L2 the FC wont look at you. {Other than the 12 month grace to get L2, where you need to be with a L2 holder}

You can be assured the private forestry companies will follow the FC lead in due course.
    Last edited by Cadex; 14-08-2012 at 20:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    If you want your own leases DazT you need the paper qualifications
    Yep thats why i thought i'd ask, am already looking into doing a quad course. Will also look at H&S, manual handling and first aid.
    Have a fair bit of previous experience - just looking to get the "right" qualifications required.
    Cheers
    Daz

Just out of interest. why did you change your name DazT?

A change is as good as a rest

DazT

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post

If only the FC agreed with you WS.
    On a recent application I missed marks because I dont have current manual handling or first aid certs.
    If I went for a job that needed a degree in chemistry would I need to redo that degree having achieved it some 26 yeas ago? No.....this paperwork obsessed world is a sure fire way of keeping the need for planting more trees going
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    If only the FC agreed with you WS.
    On a recent application I missed marks because I dont have current manual handling or first aid certs.
    If I went for a job that needed a degree in chemistry would I need to redo that degree having achieved it some 26 yeas ago? No.....this paperwork obsessed world is a sure fire way of keeping the need for planting more trees going

Ive had shooting leases with all the various forestry companies FC,"(current)Tilhill"(current) ,Scottish woodlands,and fountains never required any first aid, manual handling ,quad or anything else .

Is first aid quad or manual handling going to stop you having a accident simple answer NO .

How many have ever actually used the insurance the have ? Very few I bet .

If I was to use ponies to extract red what certificate would I need ,in saying that there are a small number of accidents by people that use ponies from stick injuries to the ponies, biting .

All these impromptu certificates infringe your human rights to stalk and use the tax payers forestry that you already have paid for some where in the big show .

But they make the rules and we have no recourse to question them...obey or don't stand a chance of an fc lease?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks