Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Risk Area

High Risk Area

A high risk area under gose a study.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/news-and-event...etails/?id=750

I don't see many answers to that one Davie, better road signs that grab drivers attention perhaps. The deer were about long before roads

There will also be a piece on BBC Alba soon.

Its a tricky situation, the road is already saturated with signage, as are most roads in the Highlands.

We can lose anything up to 35 Stags on a bad year, we only shoot 40!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

No easy answer to that one I think, I seem to remember Arisaig Estate deer fencing a lot of the road side where it passed through their ground that would have been in the 60s suppose they will have fallen in to disrepair by now.

I'll be up there on my bike in a week or so, the problem will be resolved after that
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Good to see everyone getting round the table to try to come to the best possible conclusion for all involved.

A very difficult situation right enough.

Dan, Fixed signage is easier to disregard than those mobile illuminated orange text things. Might be an idea. Not saying it will fix it but may help.

However, let me put this to you. One of the areas I work in with has something like 10,000 reds in a 40sq Mile area, they are on the road day and night. Very rarely are they knocked over.

I think part of the problem you have over there is tourists, the locals don't tend to banjo them anything near as often, as obviously we are used to them. I've never hit one and the hilux doesn't hang about as many on here can attest to LOL

On a smaller scale, SNH wanted to do something about RTA`s involving Roe in the Gullane are
    I made it clear then at a BDS meeting that unless someone was paying to pull the trigger SNH might as well piss in the wind. How much more power they can weild against some of the estates might be different but against farmers and there stalking mates they had none.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Cadwallader View Post
    I think part of the problem you have over there is tourists, the locals don't tend to banjo them anything near as often, as obviously we are used to them. I've never hit one and the hilux doesn't hang about as many on here can attest to LOL
    Its actually the exact opposite, Im just speaking for my patch here. The fact of it is that 90% of the accidents ARE locals, the majority of the DVC's are in the period between Oct-Feb, there really are NO tourists around these parts in the deepest darkest winter. I feel that part of the problem is the roadside management, vegetation now comes right to the tarred road, the motorist just isnt getting a chance to see the animals, the roadside ditches dont help either, some of them are 7ft deep, the deer just pop out of them.

Im sure if we all pull together that we can come up with a way of keeping everybody happy.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 15-08-2012 at 21:48.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Well it is nice to see every one getting there heads together WCS A Lot of the problems could be solved by education (road side vegetation) signage and fencing but not all .I am sure the only way to cut down on the RTA,S is a cull but that in its self can have problems cost being the biggest.The cull on the A9 had very little effect on the deer in fact they only shot a few but the planning must of cost 10s of thousands. I am sure a trained person could reduce the numbers under the radar with out the fuss.