Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac spread

Muntjac spread

Does anyone know just how diverse the spread of muntjac across the country are ?

I was reading the other day and read that one of the only area's they havent really got into is in south glamorgan in wales (where I am lol ) . Also it seems there aren't alot that far north either ?

They seem to be a well established deer in this country and don't seem to be going anywhere, just how far north have they spread ?

How many years do you think till they establish populations in even these places ? South Wales or even right up north ?

well they got to the south bank of the Humber a few years ago but have not got across yet as far as I know. that is what I would say is the extent of their 'natural' spread. But there are other isolated groups further to the north and west that must have parachuted in.

They only just seem to be starting to spread round N. Staffordshire despite some woodlands suddenly becoming populated in the 70's!*

*I for one would rather they didnt spread as a woodland manager and conservationist I have seen the damage done to woodlands by them, even if it is exciting to see them. I know some blocks of woodland of 100acres plus in East Anglia where you couldnt get rid of them if you wanted to. I have a pair (well at least and adult and 1 young) appeared (well tracks as not seen them yet) at a quarry in the village about a month ago, and Im taking the gun with me every time i head up there as they will be shot on sight as we have 16,000 new trees gone in only two fields away.

There are a few records slowly building in Derbyshire but large rivers such as the trent and the derwent have certainly slowed the spread.

or hitched a ride in the back of a truck, personally I didnt know they had thumbs to thumb a lift

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieh View Post
    They only just seem to be starting to spread round N. Staffordshire despite some woodlands suddenly becoming populated in the 70's!*

*I for one would rather they didnt spread as a woodland manager and conservationist I have seen the damage done to woodlands by them, even if it is exciting to see them. I know some blocks of woodland of 100acres plus in East Anglia where you couldnt get rid of them if you wanted to. I have a pair (well at least and adult and 1 young) appeared (well tracks as not seen them yet) at a quarry in the village about a month ago, and Im taking the gun with me every time i head up there as they will be shot on sight as we have 16,000 new trees gone in only two fields away.

There are a few records slowly building in Derbyshire but large rivers such as the trent and the derwent have certainly slowed the spread.
    I'm in south east staffs and there are quite a few round my way. There seems to be one or two in each wood, rather than masses, but the displaced ones will live in quite small areas of woodland. In the past I've disturbed them in some quite narrow strips of woodland not much wider than a hedge.

Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    well they got to the south bank of the Humber a few years ago but have not got across yet as far as I know. that is what I would say is the extent of their 'natural' spread. But there are other isolated groups further to the north and west that must have parachuted in.
    They wouldn't pay the toll that's why can't blame them

we have a few south of York

We don't have any on the two estates I shoot on, but they are within 500ytds of one so a local told me but we have never seen any even when we draw through with the beagles and fox hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1066 View Post
    Record can be found on the NBN Gateway http://data.nbn.org.uk/searchengine/...chTerm=muntjac
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muntjac.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	18250
    I just looked at the Interactive map and it shows Muntjac on one of my bits of shooting and I know for a fact there are none there!