Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That sinking feeling

That sinking feeling

Well for the second time in 25 years I got to one of the release pens this morning and had that feeling of dread.
    The poor little blighters had only been released the day before and what must have been a very small cub had managed to avoid snares some how not got shocked by the electric and had managed to squeeze through a re-entry grid.
    I have picked up 156 dead so far and theres still some crippled to neck yet. And with hundreds of acres of standing wheat around the estate yet to be cut there may well be a battle on with roaming cubs moving in to the area.
    Knew I should have given up this year and not been pushed into another season.
    www.yorkshiredeermanagement.co.uk

IF ITS RED ITS DEAD AND IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN

Must be one of the worst feelings in keepering walking into a pen and seeing a sea of dead poults. No doubt you will be lying out at that pen tonight and I wish you all success.

What a sickener,
    we had a badger get into a pen full of ex layers last month, (electric fence failed) but nowhere near the damage you have.
    really sorry for you.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Not good watched mine go to roost tonight got every contraption I can think of round the pen ,sorry about the damage chap we have at least 2 weeks before the wheats off here too ,I am grumpy the wife says !

What a kick in the teeth J. I bet that NV will be working overtime tonight. Good Luck !! Gaz

Well what a little lamp and squeak shy little sod it was, I don't know who's educated it but a pox on them.
    First spotted a 2130 heading to the pen and it ran like the devil was after it. Parked up the pickup and climbed in the back and spent 3 hours playing cat and mouse with it, eventually it presented a long shot which gladly taken.
    All that time it never left the wood with the pen in it....the moral is (a)don't give up and (b) if you get night vision then get the best.
    Let's see what can make me grumpy at dawn tomorrow morning.
    www.yorkshiredeermanagement.co.uk

IF ITS RED ITS DEAD AND IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN

Glad you clicked it up, there's nothing worse in keepering than what happened. Hats off to whoever invented night vision, it's ideal for jobs like that.

Well done for getting the little blighter. I dropped my 105th of the year last night (all but one taken 'on foot') - that equals my total for the whole of last year. A large number of these were taken in close proximity to pheasant or chicken pens, so hopefully, I've made a significant contribution to our local economy!

IF ITS RED ITS DEAD Good keepering J

Quote Originally Posted by cockerdog View Post
    Well for the second time in 25 years I got to one of the release pens this morning and had that feeling of dread.
    The poor little blighters had only been released the day before and what must have been a very small cub had managed to avoid snares some how not got shocked by the electric and had managed to squeeze through a re-entry grid.
    I have picked up 156 dead so far and theres still some crippled to neck yet. And with hundreds of acres of standing wheat around the estate yet to be cut there may well be a battle on with roaming cubs moving in to the area.
    Knew I should have given up this year and not been pushed into another season.
    Take a photo & send it to Brian May CC Bill Oddie
    Better barbarity than boredom