Mauser M03 vs Blaser R93

cerva

Any comments regarding these 2 rifles?
Cheap is certainly not on the menu of either.
Mauser is more conventional but slightly heavy for stalking.
Blaser is a straight-pull and lighter to walk around. This is great for stalking but will probably kick with a heavy calibre.

Mauser M03 are made by Blaser as you are probably aware. I like the Blaser but went for the Mauser M03 as you say not a light rifle and not cheap but I'm more than happy with mine.
I know my hunting mate doghound has a Blaser and only has good things to say about it.
I shoot many hundreds of rounds through mine on the running moose range and as i'm not the young man i was its easy to change the barrel if i shoot it out in a couple of years. I don't want to be buying a new rifle every 5 years at my time of life ;)

Well, I weigh my M03 Standard in 6.5 x 55 the same as my Sako 85 in the same calibre.

I'm a fan of "breakdown" rifles for travelling. Run my Mauser "as the cheapest of Mauser/Blaser/Sauer" and love it. Really only have my Sako for the UK. BIG scope, moderator and "smaller" calibre.

I really like shooting the 9.3 x 62 over open sights out to 150 metres on Impala sized beasts. The fact that you can add more barrels within the same "size" is attractive.

Stan

I have recently bought an R93 (Pro camo stock, match barrel in 243, Harris bipod, Zeiss 7 x 50 scope).

It shoots 0.5 MOA at 200 yards with both Norma & RWS 100 grain soft noses. The grouping is about the same with Federal 70 grain ballistic tips.

Need I say any more?

Mr Free Market said:
I have recently bought an R93 (Pro camo stock, match barrel in 243, Harris bipod, Zeiss 7 x 50 scope).

It shoots 0.5 MOA at 200 yards with both Norma & RWS 100 grain soft noses. The grouping is about the same with Federal 70 grain ballistic tips.

Need I say any more?

Did you shoot a three legged Doe with it recently ?
The reason I ask is because I saw such a set up recently and there aren't many of that combination around!!

Hi Cerva,

I had and M03 extreme in 30-06 last year, very accurate but alas very heavy, i went back to a R93 in the same calibre, cut it down to 18" and put a ASE Compact on it. The action is way shorter to start with it handles very quickly and is especially good on Boar.
Out of the two if you are venturing into magnum "Africa" calibres then the M03 would be great, the weight being to your advantage, if you want absolute solid build quality then again the M03, magazine capacity is 5 +1. However the R93 cycles faster, is way lighter (remembering you walk it more than you shoot it) and in my experience more accurate (0.5 MOA) in the 4 that i have had over he years. Its not less in terms of quality but just a different proposition (as stated its the same company). The R93 is a switch barrel as well.
My conclusion is that the M03 is better suited to Africa calibres, but you certainly will not be dissapointed if thats your choice.
Hope this helps.
Best regards

EMcC said:
Mr Free Market said:

Need I say any more?

Did you shoot a three legged Doe with it recently ?
The reason I ask is because I saw such a set up recently and there aren't many of that combination around!!

Yep ... that was me on Sunday morning

Sorry about the blank with me but well done for the job on the Doe, not an easy, close one either was it.
Everybody that hears about that will pat you on the back for doing such a good job.

Thanks & thanks for the stalk on Saturday evening. The blank is bye the bye - its the being "out there" that really counts.

& BTW, I spent a fair chunk of Sunday afternoon, down in the woods, trying to find some decent sticks !!!!

Thanks again

Back