Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small bore, high energy

Small bore, high energy

Ok it's not stalking or shooting related but have a look at the ballistics of this...

http://lhc-machine-outreach.web.cern...reach/beam.htm

It just shows how important the velocity squared part of the e = 1/2 mvsquared formula is.

The "projectile" clocks 363 megajoules, equivalent to a 400 tonFrench TGV train doing 150kph.
    Check out the other equivalents too.

I remember when they were about to fire it up for the first time and one scientist was asked, "is there any possibility of opening a black hole here". He replied, "no of course not".
    Another scientist said in an interview, "it's really exciting, we don't really know what will happen".

What I'd like to know is... what happens if all that energy goes wrong?.

I'm just glad the uk isn't being used as a "backstop".

fraser

Crazy energy! Those boffins are gonna change the world. Star trek here we come!

well fantastic. I think i will give up stalking as this is so exciting.Just think i would not have to out in the fields shooting anymore.
    If i find out what happens when it all goes wrong i will let you know.does anyone know where the backstop is .woodfordfallow

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Ok it's not stalking or shooting related but have a look at the ballistics of this...
    Apologies for posting something you're not interested in.

fraser

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Apologies for posting something you're not interested in.

fraser

I hope that apology isn't sincere. I thought it was interesting. If I didn't want to read it, I'd have clicked back and read about binoculars for the four millionth time.

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    well fantastic. I think i will give up stalking as this is so exciting.Just think i would not have to out in the fields shooting anymore.
    If i find out what happens when it all goes wrong i will let you know.does anyone know where the backstop is .woodfordfallow
    Absolutely no need, ignorant and unnecessary.
    1. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Proverbs 26:4 (King James version)
    2. Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

sorry but why post this?

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    sorry but why post this?
    I thought someone else might be interested in the ballistics side of it.
    Something so small yet having such a high terminal energy seemed interesting and a bit of a diversion from binoculars etc. as has been pointed out above.

Oh well, back to binoculars then

the trouble is i dont belive there are many people who can understand it fair play to you if you do but i dont infact ive read it and it just dosnt make any sense if i had a degree in physics then im sure i could understand it but i dont so yeah im going back to binoculars

*deep breath for first post**

Agreed the information isn't especially easy to understand as its written (though the comparisons with things we all do know about - like just how big a battle ship is) are quite helpful.

Its mainly about the point about a small projectile moving fast can have more energy than a larger projectile moving more slowly.

The maths for this isn't very difficult, though if its not your thing I understand.

As simply as I can explain it though - for any given combination of bullet and speed:

1/2 of the projectile's (bullet's) mass X (velocity X velocity) = energy imparted

You can see that its the velocity that counts here.

So for example:

A 100 grain bullet traveling at 3000fps :

50 (half of the mass) x 9,000,000 (the velocity in fps x itself) = 450 million (this figure is in units of grains/ft secs, you'd need to divide by 225,200 to get 1999 ft/lbs we are more used to).

Double the bullet to 200 grains at half the speed 1500fps:

100 x 2,250,000 = 225 million / 999 ft/lbs - you halve the energy

Smaller 85 grain bullet (-15%) and increase the velocity to 3500fps (16%) energy by over 10%:

A 85 grain bullet travelling at 3500fps: 42.50x 12,250,000 = 520 million / 2311 ft/lbs

Obviously this is just the physics. It says nothing about the suitability or otherwise of a particular calibre or bullet, takes no account of the other physical properties of larger vs smaller projectiles or anything else at all in fact.

Like so many things in physics the argument just moves on to other things!