Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good buck that wants leaving.

A good buck that wants leaving.

I was stalking recently and came across this 6 point buck that i have been seeing now for a while. His antlers look pretty tall but not thick. However, he is only very young so should be a medal in a few years.
    SWstalkerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	18259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3786.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	18260

be a big one next year if they thicken up, nice photo

Got that unmistakeable Zummerzet splay to them SWS.....lol Nice Buck to have on the land.

Martin

A very nice animal but i am not sure i would see him as young.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    A very nice animal but i am not sure i would see him as young.
    Another consideration is not all good bucks if left will go on to make make medal class beasts...

I'm afraid I subscribe to the school of thought that if a buck is seen (except an obvious youngster, say under 3 years old) then it gets shot if numbers are needed for the cull, whether it looks like a medal or not. The only exception I can see worth adhering to in those circumstances, is if you genuinely know of several really good heads resident on your ground. An example of this would be in areas like Fife, Scotland where a lot of good medal heads are shot.

I have a mate who will see a few gold medals each year on his ground and in those circumstances picking and choosing what gets shot from one season to the next is an option. But we are talking about someone who has seen 2 or 3 obvious medal class bucks feeding together and allowing for a comparison. It still comes back to the point that a buck that holds a bit of ground, even in his prime has already passed on his genes to his offspring for perhaps the last 3 or 4 seasons, so why not shoot him and wait for his sons to appear?

Just my opinion and not suggesting you are wrong in leaving this one if that is what you want to do, it's your ground to manage after all the way you see fit...

I would be keen to hear what other say that have a number of medal class bucks on their ground each year.

He does look a good buck, very hard to judge until your holding his antlers in you hand, my guess is you might be surprised how thick he is in the main beams, as he is long which gives an impression of his antlers being spindly, the shot of him going away doesn't look spindly though.
    Nice buck to have about.

Moose

Antlers are certainly long and may be thicker than you think, I am not sure but looking at the first photograph the span seems very wide if I am correct then that will cost points when it comes to measuring.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Well done for having the courage to leave this animal. No doubt he will have done some good in this rut.

To many people are of the 'see it...shoot it' brigade and then wonder why it is that they never have any animals this big. It's because you can only kill them once and they need to get older to get bigger!!

Once again well done, his time will come and then you'll get your reward for being patient.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Well done for having the courage to leave this animal. No doubt he will have done some good in this rut.

To many people are of the 'see it...shoot it' brigade and then wonder why it is that they never have any animals this big. It's because you can only kill them once and they need to get older to get bigger!!

Once again well done, his time will come and then you'll get your reward for being patient.
    You are wrong and I will tell you why. His time came when this photo was take.

The OP suggests that by leaving this buck it should become a medal???? Can you offer an explanation then to back that theory up and tell us why you agree that this buck is young and has years of improvement still to come to achieve that medal status you appear to desire? The OP just states he has been seeing it for a while now, I assume this relates to this season and not several years to not know for certain it's rough age given the assumed young age?

As I said in my first post, IMO the only way to know for certain what to pick and choose from is by looking at some areas that produce a lot of big or medal class bucks that are seen regularly on the ground and away from borders to neighbours.

The fact of the matter is that unless you are very close it is difficult to assess the age and quality of the head, and they all look bigger on the hoof. To me he actually does not look that young and that is also the opinion of a friend of mine who is a very experienced roe stalker. There was a thread on here not that long ago discussing the genes in male and female deer and how they impart that quality on their offspring. If the OP reckons that by leaving this animal another year he is going to shoot a medal that suggests a relatively ill informed approach and perhaps from someone relatively new to deer management, no disrespect intended. By your argument the country would be coming down with medal class bucks simply by leaving them to old age??? Eh...

A mate of mine shot a huge gold earlier this year that had not been seen on the ground for the last few years. It just appeared and he shot it. Your suggesting he should have left it? These opportunities will not necessarily repeat themselves. So what if this buck does good inthe rut this year, he did good inthe rut more than likely for the last 2 or 3 years!

What does 'having the courage to leave it' actually mean? Does that raise you to a more elevated position of 'stalker greatness' because you can walk away from a buck????

A yearling buck can throw a 6 point head so don't assume anything with regards to age by looking at its antlers.

I have shot enough deer in my life to have no desperation to shoot everything I see, but I have also left enough deer to know that they may never be seen again. The average life expectancy of roebucks is between 6 and 7 years, so the boy in this picture may not be around in a season or twos time.

Last night I was out for Sika stags. I watched a group of 3 come across the field towards me. A big 8 point stag that anyone would have been happy bangingon their wall, a spikes and a really nice 6 pointer. my intention was to obviously shoot one of the lesser beasts and leave the 8 pointer in the hope of getting him with a guest. e was big but I know there are a lot better on the ground. Anyway, they got to around 200yds and I had the safety off waiting for a broadside. Then another stag came running towards them and they turned and started walking away from me. The light was going and and the only beast that presented a **** was the big 8 pointer, so he was shot. I have a hefty cull to make and he counted towards it. It's that simple. There are stags running about just now that he will have sired so why worry?
    Last edited by jamross65; 18-08-2012 at 10:58.