Re stalking trousers

Bavarianbrit

I see lots of comments on here ref the Swedish harkila or deerhunter styles of apparel.
Does anyone on here use leather trousers instead of woven material? I do, I took my tip from the stalkers where I live in Germany and I do find them comfortable, quiet, they do not seem to get too wet, thorns briars and nettles have no effect on them they are now 5 years old and are becoming more cosy to wear and they show no damage yet, the gralloch rubs in nicely so I must pong very natural by now .
I paid 150 euros for my pair.
Martin

Harkila Oryx trousers - best of both worlds with leather facings and pocket trims on heavy duty canvas. I find them a really good fit and, as you say, thorns and brambles don't go near them. I was so impressed with them I bought a pair of Harkila Oryx Light trews, (without the leather fronts), for summer and non-hunting use.

I have some Deerhunter Huntsville, they have a full leather front panel and are a good pair of trousers. Briars etc seam to have liitle impact. Only problem is a didn't buy the other pair he had in. £40 i paid for them. Missed a bargian. Doh.

Jonathon

243varmint, Yes you did, the swedish pants style with the leather (goat skin is how it is described here) fronts are very expensive in Germany as they are imported from Sweden.
Martin

I have a pair of aussie starskies there mint, 5 years old now, wife keeps stichking em up.
my mates keep insinuating I am some sort of homo so there is a bit of stick that goes with em just dont grow a big mostacha and you should be fine

I'd be more worried finding a man creeping about in the woods wearing leather trousers that I would a man carrying a rifle!

without context asking about stalking and leather trousers may get you in trouble.
After all, some call it stalking, I call it courting...

Another starkies wearer here, great trousers bit pricey but well worth it when you keep them treated.

Mauser.

Here we go, I knew we would get onto shirt lifters (or is that dirt shifters) before the day was out.
For sale cheap pair of jackboots & a black peaked hat only used once in warm steamy weather.
Martin

Last edited:
I agree with the Oryx Trousers, they are the best of both worlds but they are not waterproof, so really to get the true best of both worlds, the Harkila Extreme Pants are the bees knees, but very expensive.

In fact they have just revamped them for 2012, called the Extreme X.

The only difference I can see is the colour personally, but they are a cracking pair of trousers.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-Harkila-Extreme-X-Trousers-With-Leather-and-GoreTex-5015.htm

Leather trousers seem to be very popular with Danish hunters, when Ive met stalkers on a Danish owned estate locally, lots of them wear leather, as they are hardwearing, look great when they wear a bit, and they are relatively waterproof naturally.

Personally id feel a bit weird walking around in leather trousers, its all a bit George Michael and Wham personally, but the Oryx and Extreme X from Harkila look really good and have the protection of leather.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,
Here is the link to the store selling the ones that I bought, the shop is only 15km away from my home, they are made in buffalo leather so are even stronger than cowhides, they are supplied just like jeans as only one length and you shorten them to suit your leg length. he knew my size as soon as I went into the shop (short & fat with hairy legs).
I could ask him to let me borrow 20 pairs and take them to a game fair style event if any one wanted, not interested in making any profit as my working life is pretty well over now, but a stalk for some muntis would be a nice bonus, ha.
http://www.trachtenstore.com/jagdmode/herren/funktionslederhosen.html
Regards
Martin

A few of my European clients have leather trousers and a few have the Harikla type, full leather hunting trousers are not seen in the UK much and personally I could not see me wearing them, however its what you are used to .

For me its a pair of light weight cotton camo trousers for summer Roe stalking water resistant not waterproof but as you are looking at three hour outings
no big discomfort.

For winter or hill stalking its traditional tweed and breeks not trousers, real tweed is wool so warm in cold weather and not to hot in warm weather its not waterproof but it takes a while before it comes through, breeks rather than trousers and +4s rather than+2s generous turn over so if you have to crawl and your knees get wet
when you stand up the wet part is no longer touching you, even when the worst happens and you get a real soaking wool is not cold unlike cotton or canvas.

I have never done so but some find tweed uncomfortable next to the skin if so you can get tweed breeks with a lining that stops that again I prefer without
don't mind wet tweed next to my skin, but don't like the feel of the wet lining it just makes you feel wet while the plain tweed does not to the same extent.
you can also get them with a waterproof membrane , but I have never bothered.

Imo a pair of tweed breeks teamed with a good pair of boots and gaiters is the best set up for hill stalking, it may partly be the fact that as an estate stalker you had no choice your tweeds were supplied by the estate and you were expected to wear them, now after nearly fifty years they are the only thing that feels natural when stalking.

But each to his own.

Back