Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs or bitches??

Dogs or bitches??

My gwp had pups the other day and I've advertised the spare pups here and elsewhere, every single person that has contacted me wants a bitch pup. Why is that? What's wrong with dogs? Granted, I'd homed most of the boys before they were born but nothing from adverts! What is it about bitches that floats people's boats??

10 years ago this Xmas eve I had a litter of GWP's born, 9 dogs, 3 bitches. I could have sold the bitches 10 times over (only slight exaggeration) after advertising them. The dogs eventually went but like you I experienced a greater desire for a bitch pup. Every pup except one went to a stalker. I have to say that when I have had lab pups in the past the demand has been pretty evenly split between the sexes. Could it be a percieved concern over the possible stubborn nature of a dog over a bitch in what is already thought of as a quite headstrong breed in the first place?

I remember Edward Martin telling me years ago that the greatest demand he had from his litters of pups was for black lab bitches, followed by black lab dogs, then yellow bitches with yellow dogs being the least popular. He could never understand why a colour was more important for a gundog than the right breeding and therefore ability (hopefully). He also said that he has had bitches with a temperament more akin to a dog and dogs more akin to a bitch.

Personally I find it easier keeping all the same sex in the kennels which for me is bitches as they are often worked as a group. However, if I was looking for a dog for deer like a GWP which will likely be worked on it's own and be required to hold a wounded beast, the a dog in this breed must be one of the best. I am not for a minute suggesting a bitch GWP is not capable (I have one) but they are physically smaller.

With a breed like a GWP as a deer dog I honestly would not be concerned whether I had a dog or a bitch from the right lines.
    Last edited by jamross65; 16-08-2012 at 13:25.

Maybe people feel that having a bitch may give them the option to breed from it in the future... Don`t know as I am not even a GWP owner, but it seems to hold for most breeds. Maybe get some pictures uploaded to help your cause.

Sorry Shabz, I am about a year away from getting a GWP (dog), otherwise I would PM you.

Good luck.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Maybe people feel that having a bitch may give them the option to breed from it in the future......
    Shabz. That's a very good thread that you have started. I don't know the answer, but I do observe my Dad who has had spaniels, collies, labs and other dogs over the years. All were bitches and none were bred from. If I ever stop sitting at a keyboard and am able to get outdoors a bit more, I might get a bitch myself.

Thanks again for a thought provoking thread. Regards JCS

It's a bit hypocritical of me to ask the question really, I only keep bitches but only so that I can keep the same sex. My first dog was a bitch so I kept the same. I don't think the breeding thing is really a point either. Especially with GWPs. If you've got a good GWP dog, it's easier to find a bitch to mate it with and you don't have any of the hassle!
    Like jamross says, if I was going to only have the one dog, it wouldn't be a bitch! It seems that every shooting season, both of mine are in season for (what feels like) half of it! Really annoys me.
    I've only got one dog left without a home to go to, so I'm not worried about selling him (there's a little tiny runty one that I'd quite like to keep), just wondered why it was??

Maybe it's that most litters have more dogs than bitches and it's simply supply and demand??

Dont know if I would agree with the split in litter sex Shabz. Its a lottery...

I had a litter of 6 pups from a lab and 5 were butches, 1 dog. Other than the GWP litter all mine have been pretty even splits. The only pup that was claimed before that bitch had them was one dog and he was the second last born! Began to wonder during the whelp if I was going to have one for my mate!

I have a few mates that have dogs and they have said that they find bitches too sooky for their liking. I kind of know what they mean as mine are happiest sitting on my feet!

One downside about bitches, is that if they get in a fight with each other they sometimes don't know when to stop. Dogs seem to do more strutting and shouting than actual fighting.

Going back to what I said earlier, as these dogs are more than likely to be worked alone, then worrying about a dog chasing bitches in season or a bitch in season upsetting dogs is not ever really going to be an issue.

I have been lucky over the years and had what I thought were very good looking bitches (others opinions as well) but in my eyes the dogs of the breeds are generally more stunning looking in their conformation and stature than the bitch. Looks are not everything though!

I've always preferred dogs to bitches,especially for deer work.
    Bigger,more tenacious on a difficult track,more go about them,easier to wind a dog back than try to put something in a bitch that hasnt got the tenacious attitude
    As Jamross states there are exceptions to the rules but for pure deer work only,dog every time for me.
    They don't lose their marbles twice a year as well,however once a dog has been used at stud,any bitch that is in season in the vicinity can make your stud dog howl,not eat and be very stubborn.
    Down to personal preference I suppose,not saying bitches can't work deer,seen some crackers,I prefer dogs for deer work,I also think they look better than a bitch,more muscle,bigger head and not as sooky/sensitive,bit more independant too which helps during a long chase.I like all dogs though as I say personal preference

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

some of the guys that i hunt will not keep a dog as they believe that bitches are much easier to train

I can't comment on deer dogs much but other working dogs I've only ever had dogs, from my own point of view it's because I do a lot of picking up and beating so I don't want to loose a dog through the season due to a bitch coming into season,also do a lot of wildfowling and a dog is usually bigger and hardier stronger fitter with more drive etc than a bitch and when I'm out in sub zero temps and tide is running need a good strong dog especially if I shoot a Canada or a greylag etc, many people keep bitches with the possibility for breeding purposes ,but again only people who own them could comment I suppose but I can't see many owning up to keep them for breeding purposes hey

This is an interesting topic. It's something that i have thought about myself. I always assumed that the preference for bitches in general was because of their earning potential. There was an article in this months 'Field' or 'Shooting Gazette' (not sure which) called "Rise of the 1000 puppy", kind of speaks for its self. But I think there is a bit more to it than that, I think a lot of people let transferred (assumed and generalised) human gender traits influence their opinions and therefore ownership decisions.

I left university a year ago and now live in London for work, sadly minus dogs. However growing up I have always had them, we have three at my parents house currently, one of which is 'mine'. She is a black lab given to me as my 16th Christmas present (sadly nearing the end now). The others are a fox red lab, and a lab cross collie. All are bitches, and all previous have been because of my Mothers belief that dogs 'run off'. This belief was passed to her by my Grandfather who also has only owned bitches... The irony here is that my lab was a nightmare for this. She would be off like a stealthy flash if you took her eyes off her in certain situations, which was very common in her younger years. Eg when she was let out for pee at night she would be off looking in bins or fields for hours, so she would have to be watched like a hawk! She was also a v athletic, muscular, driven, stubborn dog, who you could belt as hard as you could and would look at you and literally not blink. All instinct and no discipline. She also had a habit of bunching up her bed and humping it! On that vein the lab x collie was trying to hump the red lab (who is on heat) the other day, and also pees by cocking her leg! So in my experience gender traits in dogs are certainly not set in stone! However the red lab is a gun shy, neurotic, lap dog.. v sweet though.

I can't wait to move back to the country and get a dog again (prob in a couple of years). It's too much hassle in London I think at the mo, could not deal with picking up all that crap!! I'll get a deer dog amongst others, am thinking GSP/GWP or Visla/WV for deer work. On another point the red lab looks suspiciously Visla like although she is pedigree...