222 Loads

Bigboab29

Hi guys,

I am just going to start reloading, can anyone help with a nice load for my 222?

Cheers rob

19.6 reloader 7, 50 grain head, cci small primer, and i prefer lapau brass , its worked for me for years cheers

will be watching this with interest
have been advised on N130, N133, N140 among others

out of interest I have been told the normal twist rate will work for around 50-55 but have seen some on here throwing 60-65gr bullets

any comments on that ?

heads

i have tried 60 and 65 grain they did not do so well . i use 50 and 55 bt and they do realy well. treid diff powder but reloader 7 does the job just fine . i am sure there are other loaders out there so we will get ther views cheers

22.5grn of benchmark. Hornady 55grn soft point. Does the job very very well. Roe fox watever u want, they dont go very far. Knocks them down. Tryed lots of loads in my 222 and this is by far the best i have tryed.

In my CZ527 I used mainly 50 grainers by Speer, Sierra or Hornady. This rifle did not like the 55 grain bullets as well.
Currently I load it for a friend to whom I gave it.
24.8gr of BLC2 ignited by the CCI 400 primer and out of Sako or Remington brass.

As with all loads of other people work up to this as different rifle tolerances can cause pressure problems.

HWH.

When I fitted the new scope and adjusted it by collimater I was too far to the right but after twiddling the knobs I finally got the 4 shot central triangular group.
HWH.
REDSINSNOW013.jpg

will be watching this with interest
have been advised on N130, N133, N140 among others

out of interest I have been told the normal twist rate will work for around 50-55 but have seen some on here throwing 60-65gr bullets

any comments on that ?

Reading the posts i feel privileged to have the rifle i have because it accepts 50, 55 and 62grn bullets and performs well with each but as MUIR says the optimum bullet for .222 is approx 53grn. I get excellent results with Vihtavouri N120 and N130 powders with the same loads as Sako Data. Using Sako cases, Federal SR primers and Viht powders. When i have time to dig out some cards i shot will post for you to see.

Jimbo

I use Viht N130. The loads below are used in my Tikka M55, a friends HW ( think its a 66 ) and another friends CZ 527

22.1gn for 40gn V-max 3484fps average from 10 shots
21.3gn for 50gn V-max 3104fps average from 10 shots
20.6gn for 55gn Hornady SPWC not had over crono yet.

Rick

Thanks for all the info guys thats a great help for me:)

I will put up my findings as soon as i do some experimenting

cheers Rob

Another vote for Reloder 7. I use 21grns with Federal Match Primers behind a 40grn Sierra Blitzking. I have an old Steyr Mannlicher SL in .222 with a shortened barrel and have had 3 shots touching at 168yds which is plenty good enough for me! Oh and the crows and magpies dont like it much either.....

Back