Thumler's Tumbler Stainless Steel Tumbling Kit

Clive1967

Hi All,

Anyone tried one of these or used stainless steel tumbling media to clean brass cases?

Currently, when my cases are old and really dirty I use an ultrasonic cleaner first then tumble them with corn cob (walnut leaves them with a red coating I find) but I still need to use fine wire wool to clean the necks occasionally and this does take ages so I was thinking of shelling out for the above?

Any comments?

Clive

ive got some here if you want one , they are brilliant as several members on here will agree

they turn your old looking brass in to new shiney looking brass

I have one, and concur; a really nice piece of kit to have. Especially if you use military surplus brass or range pick up brass. Takes the nastiest, dirtiest, tarnished, corroded brass and returns them to new. Plus, no need to clean the primer pockets, the media cleans the case, inside and out.

As Spud says, excellent bit of kit :)

For best results I usually leave mine running for about 3 hours in total, if cleaning a couple of hundred really dirty .44mag cases (TiteGroup powder!) I do a change of water two thirds of the way through and add a squirt of Eco friendly dishwasher rinse aid :D

I still use the vibratory cleaner for a final 10min polish after loading to remove any traces of lube or oils from my fingers.

I have one... wouldn't go back now.. brass comes out looking new (in fact slightly better than new!) with the insides and primer pockets as shiney and clean as the outsides.

My top tip.... don't overload it or the brass won't come out clean... less is most definately more. 100 .308 or 6.5mm cases is really the limit if you want a good cleaning job to be done, any more and you will end up doing them again!

Last edited:
As Spud says, excellent bit of kit :)

For best results I usually leave mine running for about 3 hours in total, if cleaning a couple of hundred really dirty .44mag cases (TiteGroup powder!) I do a change of water two thirds of the way through and add a squirt of Eco friendly dishwasher rinse aid :D

I still use the vibratory cleaner for a final 10min polish after loading to remove any traces of lube or oils from my fingers.

Use Hornady Turbo lube.... no need to clean it off!!!! I used to put it through a second 30 min cycle after sizing but no longer need to.

Also, I run mine overnight and find that gives the absolute best results.. have been experimenting for almost 2 years with it now. I also find that Lemishine (gotta get it from the states) is better than any UK equivalent. Just 3 healthy squirts of Fairy Original, a teaspoon of Lemishine into piping hot water and then go to bed. The only slight downside to the hot water is that it creates a vacuum as it cools so the lid needs to be pried off with a knife handle but the results are worth the very slight inconvenience!

Last edited:
You could try tarn x! you can get it from the states(ebay). Put your brass in a sealable container and shake well. Brilliant stuff and no need for expensive systems. Its what I'm going to clean my swages up with.

The red is jewelers rouge used in the media. Try media without it. I brought a Thumblers when i first started reloading. I use a Vibe cleaner when I need to right now as my Thumblers drum needs new o rings.

I have one... wouldn't go back now.. brass comes out looking new (in fact slightly better than new!) with the insides and primer pockets as shiney and clean as the outsides.

My top tip.... don't overload it or the brass won't come out clean... less is most definately more. 100 .308 or 6.5mm cases is really the limit if you want a good cleaning job to be done, any more and you will end up doing them again!

+1

The red is jewelers rouge used in the media. Try media without it. I brought a Thumblers when i first started reloading. I use a Vibe cleaner when I need to right now as my Thumblers drum needs new o rings.

O-ring Brit? there aren't any unless you mean the pulley ring as Spud has suggested?

O-ring Brit? there aren't any unless you mean the pulley ring as Spud has suggested?

:rofl: I told you mine was old. The white plastic plate that seals the drum is held in place by a BIG "O" ring. The drum on mine is rubber.

I also find that Lemishine (gotta get it from the states) is better than any UK equivalent.

Vipa, I have some Lemishine if you want a tub, brought a few back from the US with me last trip, all I use now is a cap of Birchwood Casey brass cleaner (on the really dirty stuff), a good squirt of Eco washing up liquid and a teaspoon of citric acid.

I'll be at Ponteland A range (unless we get put on B again) tomorrow afternoon with the Tyne Valley club or PM me, I'm just down the road from Beamish Museum and we can sort out collection/delivery.

Last edited:
Another tip is to put non-skid tape (same used for outdoor steps, skate boards, boat steps, etc) on the rings/lips of the barrel. Helps the barrel get more grip, when foam pads get wet...

Back