Thread: 6.5 tikka lite stainless barrel

6.5 tikka lite stainless barrel

I was thinking the other day and was talking to a friend and we got around to talking about people buying a new gun just for its action and then having it re-barreled to something else. so essentially there would be a new barrel doing not a lot other than collection dust.

What happens to these swapped out barrels.

Anyone know or have a T3 Lite barrle in stainless 6.5

Im just weighting up a few things on replacing a barrle or replace the whole rifle. Im sort or trying to find out costings and whether it would be viable or just put up with what i have.

thanks

Phil.

Phil

I don't know if a lot of people would buy a new rifle just for an action. There are a lot of good secondhand rifles to be had in providing donor actions to a custom or semi-custom build project. In fact they don't have to actually be that good a seconhand rifle as the actions can be worked on to improve their accuracy.

Another consideration is that so many actions and bolt faces are common to many different chamberings so if say you want to build a custom rifle in 25-06 you could do so from a rifle in that calibre obviously, but also from a 270 or a 30-06 for example, and likewise with small actions, 22-250, 308, 243, 260, 7mm-08 and so on can all be considered. So in sourcing an action you are not tied down to one that has a barrel already fitted and chambered in your eventual choice will be...

Meant to add that in that case the old removed barrels I would imagine are in the main destroyed or re-cycled perhaps?.
    Last edited by jamross65; 17-08-2012 at 10:35.

On e-gun one often finds new take off barrels. Often from T3's.
    I would rather fit a bergara barrel, I think they'd be of better quality and prices are very good.
    In the Uk you might have a good selection of second hand rifles but here in Ireland I have the
    feeling second hand prices are not much lower than new prices. I prefered to buy new rifles here for projects.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    On e-gun one often finds new take off barrels. Often from T3's.
    I would rather fit a bergara barrel, I think they'd be of better quality and prices are very good.
    In the Uk you might have a good selection of second hand rifles but here in Ireland I have the
    feeling second hand prices are not much lower than new prices. I prefered to buy new rifles here for projects.
    edi
    You will pick up secondhand Sako 75's here from around 700 upwards, maybe a fair bit less if in poor nick. A new Sako 85 regardless of model must be around the 1200+ mark?

My last build project was a Varmint Remington Laminated in 22-250. It had hardly seen the light of day. Less than 500 from local gunshop. Had it blueprinted, kept original bottom metalwork, fitted a Jewell trigger, rebarreled in 243AI at Border Barrels and bedded into a McMillan stock. Never bothered with threading or a mod. very cheap but accurate alternative to a full custom action.

Can you not purchase here and have them sent over to Ireland? I assume the import restrictions and costs outweigh the savings?

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    You will pick up secondhand Sako 75's here from around 700 upwards, maybe a fair bit less if in poor nick. A new Sako 85 regardless of model must be around the 1200+ mark?

My last build project was a Varmint Remington Laminated in 22-250. It had hardly seen the light of day. Less than 500 from local gunshop. Had it blueprinted, kept original bottom metalwork, fitted a Jewell trigger, rebarreled in 243AI at Border Barrels and bedded into a McMillan stock. Never bothered with threading or a mod. very cheap but accurate alternative to a full custom action.

Can you not purchase here and have them sent over to Ireland? I assume the import restrictions and costs outweigh the savings?
    Sorry for the off-thread,
    it is getting more difficult. I am getting in a "hand me down" shot gun and a rifle + a done up Mauser rifle from Germany at the moment.
    The ordeal takes several months, and one transport agent wants me to drive to Dublin airport to collect which is a 8 hr round trip + around 400 Euro
    I don't think there actually is a transport company in Ireland that is allowed or does transport guns. Yet many are posted...
    Must have a closer look at the UK situation as the market seems more competitive.
    edi

obviously the old barrel can't be kept by the FAC holder unless the chamber is cut off the barrel or they have a slot for a spare barrel on their ticket. The RFD can of course keep it which I suspect is what happens in most cases.

Believe me having a bit of tubular steel with spiral grooves down the inside is a big thing chamber of no chamber. Lincs Police made huge deal out of it ................................................ so be careful.