Cheap Powder Measure

Personally I wouldn't risk it, I did without untill I was given an RCBS one which works perfectly, to the point I just drop a load into the case and seat a bullet.
I check every 10th round and now after a thousand or more mixed .223, .22 hornet and now 6mm I have never found one wrong.
To start I just used a Lee scoop and trickeld up, takes a few seconds longer is all, but is fine for a few rounds at a time.

Neil. :)

I bought one of these to evaluate a few months ago, at the time they were about £14 including shipping, so not a lot to risk. Yes, they are almost a direct copy of the Lee "Perfect" measure and work just as well. If you are looking for a cheap measure and not thinking of charging high volumes of large cases then this will do the job well. Of course for £20 or so you will not get a Harrell which sell at around ten times the price, but there again there won't be much, if any, difference in the accuracy.
A measure is a measure, powder flows into a cavity when you turn the handle and flows out again when you turn the handle the other way - simples!

Personally I never load straight from the measure, I always trickle up to exact weight with a beam scale so any measure that that I can set to throw about a grain light will do the job.
Laurie Holland recently reviewed a range of Powder Measures, from the lowly Lee to the Rolls-Royce Harrell. Any one who has read any of Lauries articles will know just how painstakingly accurate his measurements are. Guess which measure beat all the Lyman, Redding, Bananza etc. measures for accuracy - Yes, the cheap little Lee at less than £30.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/49879348/Target-Shooter-March-2011

There are a couple of things to consider with the Chinese copy (and the Lee) the powder capacity is not very large so If you are dropping 50gns or so at a time straight from the measure and in a rush keep an eye on the powder level. The Chinese copy does not have a handle, it has a knurled wheel - I couldn't get on with this so made a handle.

If you are on a tight budget and you can get this delivered for less than £20 it will do the job well - If you can pick up a Lee without delivery charges for £27 I would probably go for the Lee - Both work well and will just as accurate as the Redding Competition BR-30 at around £300 - I can hear you all laughing now.:)

I haven't bought one yet Muir
I am still trying to work out if it's worth laying out £21 (includes postage from wherever it's coming from!)
Would I be correct in saying that all it has to do is throw consistent loads ? I believe most reloaders check the amounts every few cartridges anyway
Ed

Just seen your post 1066 - thanks

Last edited:
If I had a complaint with the Lee it is that with very fine powders, you get some leakage around the side of the drum. Otherwise, it's a measure. As 1066 said: powder in, powder out. I have one set up exclusively for 45acp that hasn't changed a speck in two years of being dedicated to that use. Drops the same charge time and time again. Most measures that put the measuring chamber directly in contact with the powder supply will be about as accurate as the operator's consistency in technique. The ancient (but being remarketed now) Belding & Mull fills an intermediary chamber which it then moved over the the measuring chamber. I have found this to be a very accurate measure without regard to operator technique.~Muir

Buy the Lee and support the Guy who designed it and not the Chinese Guy who can only rip off anothers ideas.

Yorkie.

Back