Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange exit on Fallow

Strange exit on Fallow

I was stalking yesterday evening and shot a fallow, he was close, about 50 yards at most. I took a simple chest shot and he reacted as you would expect. I found no hair and no blood but had a good look round and found him dead 100 yards away in the wood. Hardly any blood at all just a little bit on the entry wound. The shot placement was exactly where I wanted it.

When I inspected the carcass there didn't seem to be an exit wound. After looking again in the light in the chiller the ribs on the exit side were broken and an expanded bullet sized hole was visible but the skin had no hole in it. I probed with my finger for ages and can't find the exit in the skin but the bullet has passes through the rib bone on both sides.

I was using a .243 with 105g ammo.

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by hottopic View Post
    I was stalking yesterday evening and shot a fallow, he was close, about 50 yards at most. I took a simple chest shot and he reacted as you would expect. I found no hair and no blood but had a good look round and found him dead 100 yards away in the wood. Hardly any blood at all just a little bit on the entry wound. The shot placement was exactly where I wanted it.

When I inspected the carcass there didn't seem to be an exit wound. After looking again in the light in the chiller the ribs on the exit side were broken and an expanded bullet sized hole was visible but the skin had no hole in it. I probed with my finger for ages and can't find the exit in the skin but the bullet has passes through the rib bone on both sides.

I was using a .243 with 105g ammo.

any ideas?
    look in either under the skin as far back as the rear haunch or the front shoulder , bullets can do very funny things.

i shot a stag last yr with a simple text book heat shot and found the bullet under the skin in the flank by the rear haunch and that was a 270 i shot it with !

I shot two roe one in the neck and the second in the ribs. The neck shot exited on the deer's back just above the anus and the rib shot nearly took off the front leg with the bullet found just under the skin. Both were shot while they were broadside and I was using a .308 150grn round. The firearms dealer said that the bullets had not got up to velocity travelling only 80 mts but I didn't buy that explanation as I always thought the round was at its fastest when it exits the breech.

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    I shot two roe one in the neck and the second in the ribs. The neck shot exited on the deer's back just above the anus and the rib shot nearly took off the front leg with the bullet found just under the skin. Both were shot while they were broadside and I was using a .308 150grn round. The firearms dealer said that the bullets had not got up to velocity travelling only 80 mts but I didn't buy that explanation as I always thought the round was at its fastest when it exits the breech.
    He probably meant to say the bullet needed to travel a little further, to be at it's optimum speed for reliable expansion, (slower than it's muzzle exit speed)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sounds like it was the Geco round? Effectively T mantel RWS bullet - which tends to be a solid performer.

But every shot is different and best ballistic explanation I have come across is 'stuff happens'!

Be interested to see if any trace of the bullet turns up - have you got a 'cable finder' detector you can run over the carcase?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I to had a similar thing happen to me last year shot a Fallow Buck square in the ribs with a 7mm Mauser and the bullet exited between the front legs through the brisket dam thing took off found it 200yds away been using the same round for years never done it before

It is interesting to see some reports of people having this happen with something other than a 243 as most reports I've seen of this in the past have concerned the 243 and, usually, 100 grain bullets. I'd love to know why it seems more prone to these things.

Anyhow, some years back the BBC were doing an TV outside broadcast from a sports ground near one of the high power medium wave transmitters. Unfortunately the transmitter was causing RF (radio frequency) interference on the cameras and the pictures were basically unusable. This became a news story somehow and television news announced that they would have the BBC technical manager on to explain why they were unable to transmit such an important sporting event. They stuck the technical manager on and some presenter asked him to explain why there was a problem. His answer made him something of a legend in broadcasting circles and all he would say on the matter was "Well, RF's funny stuff you know."

I think something similar can be said for the way a bullet will occasionally perform in view of the very large number of variables and the considerable speeds and energy involved. Bullets occasionally do funny stuff.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

metal detector is pretty quick...

Thanks all, I have found some of the bullet on the top of the saddle directly above the shot. It must have broken up and travelled vertically.

I guess stuff does just happen. I shot another this morning in pretty much the exact same spot. He ran a few yards before dropping with a massive exit wound.

I've seen a 140gr Nosler Partition in 6.5 x 55 drop a Wildebeest Bull at 150 metres, straight down. Perfect engine room shot, smashed the rib on the far side then decided to go through the brisket and end up with the rear of the bullet sticking out through the skin, only the mushroom preventing the exit.

Stan