Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .222 or .223

.222 or .223

.222 or .223 for dedicated night vision use ? for's and against please ,it will be used with a hth 731 gen 2 + or my gen 3 grade b archer on back of leupold vx 111 4.5 14 x50 , mainly for baited areas about 100 to 150 yards ! any tips welcome, kind regards

whichever comes along in either the rifle of your choice or a deal thats too good to miss. Having shot both, you wont see a scrap of difference performance wise between the two at the distances you mention.

pros and cons, much the same as for any other .222 vs .223 debate.

.223 ammo may be easier to obtain if using factory (i never have a problem with .222 availability and im pretty well out in the sticks)

Components are equally available if you homeload to make either caliber easily reloadable.

.222 uses a smidge less powder so maybe less flash/report but the difference is pretty minimal and you would probably see the same difference between two .223s with different mods as you would between the .222 and .223.

The .222 is a lovely caliber, .223 is also fantastic. some may argue you might have better resale value in a .223 but then there are more about. you may just have to wait a little longer for a .222 buyer.

As i say, decide on the rifle you wand and buy the best example you can, be it in .222 or .223, you wont notice the difference.

Obviously all the above is only my opinion, others will differ!

Regards

I agree with the above with one addition: I believe that the .222 has a better accuracy potential than the .223. It has about the perfect powder capacity for the .224 bore and the long neck aids with alignment of the bullet. It also provides generous latitude in seating depths while affording good grip on the neck. I currently shoot both and give the satisfaction factor to the .222 by a slight edge.~Muir

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Hi Waggy

i run a 20 tactical for fox and vermin, but out of the 2 your looking at IMO: i would choose .222 i have had a 223 and it was ok but having 2 mates with 222's i can't fault the accuracy from them, most factory ammo you buy will just about shoot a good group in any of them,

if you plan to reload then they are both cheap enough to reload,

but you have to look at what you like as both will do what you have mentioned above with ease,

you also need to have a think about the scope you plane to run the archer on as the leupold is not the best choice IMO:

kind regards and happy hunting (for the rifle you like) and when you get it lets all know what you went for etc.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I agree with the above with one addition: I believe that the .222 has a better accuracy potential than the .223. It has about the perfect powder capacity for the .224 bore and the long neck aids with alignment of the bullet. It also provides generous latitude in seating depths while affording good grip on the neck. I currently shoot both and give the satisfaction factor to the .222 by a slight edge.~Muir
    Excellent reply MUIR i totally agree with you post. I would never part with my .222.

Jimbo

As far as foxing ranges go you will see no difference in accuracy,the 223 will do everything the 222 will plus moreThe bonus of the 223 is that you can run a 40gr bullet faster and flatter than a 222 as it has more case capacitybut the fox don't know the differance.
    Find whatever you can in your budget and either will do the job just fine.
    dave

2nd hand .222's are cheaper
    2nd hand .223's are more plentiful

no there is a contradiction in business.....most plentiful is usually the cheapest

I just got a variation for a .222
    have no intention of throwing anything larger than 50gr Vmax, highly unlikely to reach out to more than 250yds
    want most bang for buck in every way.

I seriously doubt the flatness difference between a 40gr .223 and a 40gr .222 can be measured from the firing point inside 200yds.
    What I mean is you wont notice the difference and neither will the fox

.223 40gr Vmax
    3800fps MV
    200yd zero
    -5.5" @ 300

.222 40gr Norma Vmax
    3445fps MV
    200yd zero
    -7" @ 300
    Last edited by bewsher500; 18-08-2012 at 18:43.

I've had both and currently shoot a .223 I've found it a bit flatter shooting and there for slightly more accurate but again they are so close the differences are negligible to say the least.......

I asked my local dealer (a man who I trust) and he said get a .223. as the .222 is on the way out. Ammuntion is not as available as it was etc. For a long term investment you are better off with a .223. There is no doubting the effectiveness of a .222, but the .223 has the edge and they are too similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    I've had both and currently shoot a .223 I've found it a bit flatter shooting and there for slightly more accurate but again they are so close the differences are negligible to say the least.......
    This is not a Dis, but I really wonder about this statement. I read it often. Since trajectory and accuracy are two diffrent things I have always figured that the poster means "easier to put the bullet on target" rather than "more accurate".~Muir