Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well made my first 10

Well made my first 10

Well guys was at bush wear today and got some n133 powder,cci primers and hornady 50grn sp. Already had my dies and lee breech lock handloader and other bits and bobs so decided to load ten when i got home.
    Got the .222 out for a shot to see if i had loaded them ok, 5 shots in 2inches and 5 strayed well low at 100yrds. Dont know if it was me rushing the shots or the loads. Will load some more tomorrow and see.
    P.s. would like to thanks Muir and Spud for giving me advice and everyone else who posted. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mixed 047.jpg   mixed 050.jpg  
    Last edited by Fifestalker25; 18-08-2012 at 17:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifestalker25 View Post
    Well guys was at bush wear today and got some n133 powder,cci primers and hornady 50grn sp. Already had my dies and lee breech lock handloader and other bits and bobs so decided to load ten when i got home.
    Got the .222 out for a shot to see if i had loaded them ok, 5 shots in 2inches and 5 strayed well low at 100yrds. Dont know if it was me rushing the shots or the loads. Will load some more tomorrow and see.
    P.s. would like to thanks Muir and Spud for giving me advice and everyone else who posted. Cheers.
    What is your brass prep process?
    That'd be where I'd start first.

Welcome to the club :-)

You will be very lucky if you get your first lot to keyhole no matter how long you have been doing it,it happens but not very often,welcome to the club

Hi mate brass was first fired by me so just neck sized and chamfered, case length was 1.691. oal of round 2.095. Start grns was meant to be 21.3 but only got lee dipper 1.6cc at the moment which is 20.8 so just under, dont know if this could have effected it.

Hi mate brass was first fired by me so just neck sized and chamfered, case length was 1.691. oal of round 2.095. Start grns was meant to be 21.3 but only got lee dipper 1.6cc at the moment which is 20.8 so just under, dont know if this could have effected it.
    Be very careful loading at UNDER starting load data, this can be every bit as dangerous as loading at just over Max! Have you not got any scales?

Lee 2nd edition book says the dipper they provide may be under load but will still be a safe load. Not got scales as yet as o thought that would have done for now. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    Be very careful loading at UNDER starting load data, this can be every bit as dangerous as loading at just over Max! Have you not got any scales?
    This past week some friends of mine were visiting and through an error setting up the scale, the charges of H322 for a 20 Tactical were loaded at 13.2 grains instead of 23.2 grains. The accuracy was bad and the bullets grouped low. Smokey necks. Othewise, no issues.

This horror evoked at the thought of loading 5% under starting loads is generally unwarranted. Even with H-4831 in a 30-06 the point where one worries about "detonation" is somewhere around the 50% reduction mark. Not a good practice but it illustrates the point.~Muir

5 shots in 2inches and 5 strayed well low at 100yrds.
    Cheers.
    Well there you go - You have a starting point. They all went bang and you have empty cases now to have another go. Date and file the target along with the load data and general observations (weather/wind/over-under pressure signs etc.)
    A 5xshot 2 inch group at 100 yds would have been considered quite good shooting before the days of the internet, now of course almost everyone can get their old Remmy to "shoot .25 inch groups all day long" - Also good to see you are shooting a proper of 5 shots, it is MUCH easier to get good groups with only 3 shots (it's even better if you discount the odd flyer)

So - where to go from here, and it depends where you want to go, are you looking to screw the best accuracy you can from you and your rifle or do you view it a tool to do a job? You should be able to half that group size by paying attention to the details - The very first thing I would do is start thinking about a set of scales. I would suggest a beam scale, something like an RCBS 502 or a Redding No 2 (good used condition if necessary) These will last a lifetime if not abused. Although a lot of the Lee products are excellent I would avoid the Lee scale. It's not that it's not accurate it's just a pain to use.

Getting the group size down to an inch is usually possible, getting much below an inch is increasingly difficult and usually comes at a price - the odd hundred quid on a new trigger and the same again on the bedding and then some better dies, better press, trying four of five different powders/bullets/primers. - By then of course, you are chasing the dragon and well hooked - Good shooting and let us know how you get on.

Thanks mate, scales are deff on the to buy list, just thought i could get away with the dipper to start with. Ive just been interested in reloading so thought i would give it a go, ofcourse i want to shoot tight groups and as you said it all comes at a cost. Weather wasnt that good yesterday but cracking today, so going to make some more rounds up and see how they shoot. About keeping the target on record, need to get some proper ones, they were just a peice out a note book and forgot to draw a circle so had to use mud haha. Cheers.

Am loving the high tech bullseye!

I dont load for .222 yet (next week hopefully!) but the cases in your picture look quite short.

I have a set of dippers that would let you work up a few loads if you are passing through Edinburgh