Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs vs sheep

Dogs vs sheep

Yesterday we found 4 lambs and 1 ewe mauled by dogs on the farm where I work. One lamb was put down because you could see into it's wind pipe. Another is wrapped up in a cast with a broken leg. The ewe throat is all cut up and might as well be shot. The price we get for a lamb is around the 80-90 mark. A lot of money down the drain. And these animals have had to suffer. Now answer me this why can't people keep there dogs under control/on a leed. I don't understand it. It's not hard. If you can't control why are you letting it off in the first place.
    Sorry that's me had my wee rant. Just so piss off about it

Sorry to hear about that bud

I shake my head when I look at some of the dog owners round my way, they just haven't a clue of even the most basic obedience, dogs running all over the park with owners bellowing their names to "get back here"

i agree with the keep dogs under control bit,but are you sure it was a dog walker and not some tosser setting the doga on them deliberatley

The area I live in is pretty ruff. And folk don't seem to care. A lot of folk walk up through the farm with dogs not controlled. Hard when I go out shooting I need to call the police every time so I don't get a Heleicopter over my head .

I know how you feel, I am not one for Big Brother but I would love to see the law that ALL dogs in a public place MUST be on leads, with the exception being working dogs with the land owners permission. Around here seeing dogs chasing my poults, nowhere near a footpath, is all too common a sight, along with "exercising" deer and hares. This simple law would also get over the frequent dog fights, child bitings etc. which are read about all too often.

So why don't you shoot the dogs which are attacking the sheep as you are legally entitled to do as defined by section 9 of the 1971 animals act?
    Then present a bill for compo to the dog owner when they come looking.

Some suggestions from a farming forum are:
    Warning signs that dogs will be shot and a reminder to keep the dogs on a lead.
    A chronicle of dogs shot on this land over the past year.
    People get the idea quickly.
    Police aren't interested.

Lambs Killed by Dog and Police Inaction! - British Farming Forum

The law will never change about general dog ownership and control. Too many votes to be lost by any government that was to introduce more rigorous controls and liability on owners.

its not the dogs ( most of the time ), its the owners. youve every right to have your moan but you will never educate them.
    We train our dogs and use them as a tool, they dont need to do that thats why your never change them

craggy

Agree with all Jack says . If you can, get a video of the dogs worrying your sheep first and then shoot them. Dead dogs don't bite. Sad to say but the only way to deal with it. When I quizzed my old FEO about the legallity of using a rifle on dogs he said go ahead and told me straight, the Police simply have not got the time or resources to do anything. He did draw the line however when someone applied a firearms cert. specificaly for dog control. He gave them one for vermin instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan413 View Post
    Yesterday we found 4 lambs and 1 ewe mauled by dogs on the farm where I work. One lamb was put down because you could see into it's wind pipe. Another is wrapped up in a cast with a broken leg. The ewe throat is all cut up and might as well be shot. The price we get for a lamb is around the 80-90 mark. A lot of money down the drain. And these animals have had to suffer. Now answer me this why can't people keep there dogs under control/on a leed. I don't understand it. It's not hard. If you can't control why are you letting it off in the first place.
    Sorry that's me had my wee rant. Just so piss off about it

Wonder how such dogs would fair, if introduced to an adult Texel in the lambing pen when young !

On two seperate occasions I've seen collies getting the agression knocked out of them by the above,

perhaps the owners have as thick a scull as the Texel LOL.

Nothing more annoying.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 19-08-2012 at 10:20.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"