Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new NGO deer section

new NGO deer section

okay
    we all should know by now that the NGO has formed a new commitee to help run the new deer section that has been set up within the organisation
    David Whitby (Petworth ) is head of that commitee
    just wondering what are any one's thoughts on this and what you members are expecting from them?
    any thoughts and ideas from you NGO members
    and if there is an NGO spokesperson on site any ideas on which way you are heading with this section?
    regards
    stone

NGO

Hiya Stone

A mate of mine is on the commitee and he has high hopes for it - he's relatively new to stalking (although a very experienced head keeper), and will be trying to represent the views of newcomers like myself.

There are also plenty of very experienced commitee members, so hopefully a good balance of views.

Cheers

Daemon

For gamekeepers I'm sure it is a valuable addition to their association's field of expertise and I wish them well. For the amateur stalker, however, I remain of the opinion that is BASC who best represents their interests. There has been a lengthy debate on this forum just recently about who does what for whom but, to be honest, all one has to do is take a look at their respective web sites and the answer is clear.

From the NGO -

The National Gamekeepers' Organisation is the representative body for gamekeepers in England and Wales.

We defend and promote gamekeeping, help gamekeepers and ensure high standards throughout the profession.
    From BASC -

BASC is a national representative body for sporting shooting. We have five strategic objectives:

A strong and unified voice for shooting
    All-party backing for shooting
    Balanced comment in the media
    Continuing opportunity to go shooting
    High standards
    I am not a gamekeeper and therefore do not have any reason to be a member of the NGO. I have yet to discover precisely what they manage to achieve for their non-gamekeeper members beyond offering an insurance package which some suggest may fail at the first fence if it is ever put to the test. On the other hand I have nothing but praise for BASC and all that they strive for and I will be forever thankful for the help and opportunities they offered when I first started stalking.

I have every respect for professional gamekeepers and fully support their desire to have their own representative body. Examine their web site - you will find only scant reference to the interests of the recreational shooter and then only in the context of how it might affect the gamekeeping profession; and that is how it should be. From their web site -

"Having a new Deer Branch will . . . encourage the professional stalker's view to be heard at national level."
    Somehow, this from BASC appears to have gone unnoticed - Deer Stalker Network Wales

Has anybody else this side of Offa's Dyke heard anything about it?

I joined the NGO this year after my BASC was due for renewal, mine was purely a financial move and the deer section looked a good idea.
    The money I saved I made my high seat with

Iwrch

I emailed Basc about the deer section in Wales as i am only just over the border in north west Herefordshire, but they never got back to me!!!!!

Jonathon

Hello All

I am not a Gamekeeper but joined the NGO as a subscriber for 30 per year and this gave me the same insurance cover as a full time keeper.

I was especially attracted to the NGO this year because of the new department they are opening concerning deer. This new section is of no threat to any of the other organisations it is just that the NGO recognises that Stalking is becoming so much more popular that it is offering the same services.

It would be very nice to have a spokesperson for the NGO on this site to help with the questions.

Regards

Steve.

Good luck to them, I hope it delivers all that the NGO member interested in deer want and need.

243, I know you snet me a PM about it, but all I have is your christian name- not much to go on.

Everyone that e-mailed about the scheme has been replied to and kept in the loop, either your e-mail did not get through to us, or our e-mail back to you did not get through.

Anyway, if you are still interested let me know.

You may know that BASC has a regular deer e-newsletter, issue 10 has just been sent out.

David

Davie
    In my opinion it is a good idea on all parts for the organizations to take up the issues facing the deer stalker .Like has been said before deerstalking is on the increase and we are being attacked from all sides mainly from withing DCS DI etc . The major organisations have jumped in bed with the DI and gave there full back both verbally and financially lets hope the others don't and that will give us a choice.
    We are at the moment in for a big change in Scotland this came from the horses mouth what change will be what ever the organization can get passed in scottish parliament. We need an independent voice and i am afraid BASC IS NOT THAT VOICE .
    David i know you come on here with all the good intentions but when the real questions get asked like the financial backing of closed deer management group taking over staling down south you did not answer don't be selective about what questions you choose answer them all they are all relevant to armature stalker even if some think they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC
    Good luck to them, I hope it delivers all that the NGO member interested in deer want and need.

243, I know you snet me a PM about it, but all I have is your christian name- not much to go on.

Everyone that e-mailed about the scheme has been replied to and kept in the loop, either your e-mail did not get through to us, or our e-mail back to you did not get through.

Anyway, if you are still interested let me know.

You may know that BASC has a regular deer e-newsletter, issue 10 has just been sent out.

David
    Thanks David
    I did get the email about the news letter but nothing about the welsh scheme.
    Regards
    Joanthon

Davie,

There is no closed shop (I assume you are talking about the DI?) down south. The DI have clearly made this point on another thread on this forum. All the organisations listed on the DI site pay the same fee to be partner orgs by the way.

If ANY BASC member has had their stalking taken away by the DI please send me the full details and I promise I will investigate and report back. Send the detials to me at Marford Mill by post or e-mail me at david.ilsley@basc.org.uk

Apart from that what questions do you think I am avoiding?

On the Scotland issue, (DCS?) I think BASC were the lone voice agianst the (potentially) restrictive poposals. Maybe that is not want you think stalkers in Scotland want?

I did post on this very issue a few weeks ago...

David

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC

On the Scotland issue, (DCS?) I think BASC were the lone voice agianst the (potentially) restrictive poposals. Maybe that is not want you think stalkers in Scotland want?

David
    David

Do you know what is the latest position regarding this insane proposal? Is it dead in the water yet?