Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New dog

New dog

Hi chaps soon i will be picking up my new HWV, I already have 2 that I use to pick up with but that are not trained on deer. I would like to train the new one to track deer my question is which type of training is it best to do first tracking or retrieving?

Thanks

You can do both as they are totaly seperate disciplines.

Fireman sam.
    As deer man says the two are completely different , so as soon as you get the pup start with short tracks of Heart /liver/ etc. then let it rag a dragged skin keep it fun always make sure the pup is successful. Then keep extending the length and then the length of time it was laid. Also try not to use only one species especially Roe (too sweet) the larger deer are best. Also contentious as it may be, scent shoes, depends how good you want the dog to be. The obedience and retrieving as per norm. Regards WIDU.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by widu View Post
    Fireman sam.
    As deer man says the two are completely different , so as soon as you get the pup start with short tracks of Heart /liver/ etc. then let it rag a dragged skin keep it fun always make sure the pup is successful. Then keep extending the length and then the length of time it was laid. Also try not to use only one species especially Roe (too sweet) the larger deer are best. Also contentious as it may be, scent shoes, depends how good you want the dog to be. The obedience and retrieving as per norm. Regards WIDU.
    As Widu says, scent shoes are the way forward no matter how daft some folk will tell you the idea is. They are an absolute necessity for laying long tracks and so much easier than alternatives.

I was at a training day and watched a 14 week old teckle follow a blood track that was over 12hrs old. They are never too young to start on the association with scent and tracking. A lot different though to how you would introduce a pup or young inexperienced dog to gameshooting training.

Thanks chaps, will try to put all your advise to use, except for the bit about only using one type of deer as Roe are the only species i have on my permission. Will try to keep you updated with our results

Many thanks

I use every species you are gonna shoot. I want him to find anything I ask.

hi fireman sam,
    just wanted to say that if you intend to use the dog for all aspects of stalking ie. not just tracking shot deer, then my advice would be keep it well away from anything other than deer until its well and truely learnt its job otherwise you will have an HPR that will point whilst your out stalking leaving you to think "now whats she/he pointing at !! bird/rabbit/hare or the deer your stalking"
    all the best
    jimmy

Hello fireman sam . To get the other species all you have to do is ask around. Deer parks , Deer Farm's, Deer Abattoir's, people on here might be willing to save you the blood, feet, a little piece of skin, maybe the head even. All from the same animal !!. You just have to be willing to travel to pick it up. Don't stick to one species alone .
    Also Jimmy is right make it deer only then when it is trained then try bird work , but why would you if you have two for bird work ?.
    Regard's WIDU.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

Hi Widu, my dog is 7 now and slowing down a bit and my bitch is very accident prone so another dog now would be good practise and timing so i can fulfill my picking up duties.

Thanks

I couldn't get the idea that why are you getting a new one and want to train it only for picking while
    you will be hunting deer.
    Why don't you train you two older ones?
    It may some some hereditary problem that dogs may be lazy to learn but its of course not impossible. Dog treats
    What do you thing?
    Last edited by Blaise; 25-08-2012 at 17:57.