Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: France and military calibres

  1. #1

    France and military calibres

    I just read in "Jagen" a flemish shooting magazine, that since Feb 27,2012 there no longer is a ban on military and ex-military calibres in France. With this new law they stepped in the footsteps of Belgium. So the 30-06, 308, 8x57 JS, etc... will be perfectly legal to use.

  2. #2
    Hi
    Pretty sure that is 'in principle' with the formalising of a new law yet to be done - knowing what the French system can be like may still be some time...........my information was from around April time with end of the year a possibility.

    L

  3. #3
    a friend of mine has been taking his 308 for years and never had a problem. if the certificate had said the rifle was a 7.62 he would probably had an issue.

  4. #4
    Who wold be able to give a definitive answer on this? The consequences of getting it wrong could be severe....
    BASC, FACE?

  5. #5
    This has been covered extensively in recent threads, but the gist of it is that the "application decree" for the new law haven't been finalised yet. There's been a Presidential election in between, I don't think it's really on anyone's list of top priorities just now. It will be all over the French hunting press when it finally happens. And I'm just about certain that although you may well get away with bringing a .308 away, it's very much still illegal.

  6. #6
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    This has been covered extensively in recent threads, but the gist of it is that the "application decree" for the new law haven't been finalised yet. There's been a Presidential election in between, I don't think it's really on anyone's list of top priorities just now. It will be all over the French hunting press when it finally happens. And I'm just about certain that although you may well get away with bringing a .308 away, it's very much still illegal.
    Yup, still illegal and following the shooting of seven people by an "Islamic Extremist" in March of this year, in Toulouse, the momentum has (as you might expect) gone very much to the anti-gun lobby.

    The notion that "Weapons of War" (which is how their laws regard cartridges such as .30-06sprg, .308win, .223rem etc, etc) should become more widely available, is a very contentious and unpopular one right now.

    I've spoken with many people in the French shooting fraternity and all of them reckon the new law will not be ratified anytime soon, if ever.

    The use of .308win (et al) for Target shooting in France is lawful, with the right permissions... but not for hunting... very much NOT FOR HUNTING, where a different set of rules apply. Right now you'd be very foolish indeed to try "sneaking" a .308 into France for hunting, but I'm sure some "experts" on here will come along, as usual, and tell me I'm talking bunkum.... I look forward to reading about them in the press francais, in due course.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    The use of .308win (et al) for Target shooting in France is lawful, with the right permissions... but not for hunting... very much NOT FOR HUNTING, where a different set of rules apply. Right now you'd be very foolish indeed to try "sneaking" a .308 into France for hunting, but I'm sure some "experts" on here will come along, as usual, and tell me I'm talking bunkum.... I look forward to reading about them in the press francais, in due course.
    Yes, just don't do it. Seriously. But just to reassure you, hunting lives in a different legal context, thanks to the 1789 Abolition of Privileges which ended the feudal system and forms part of the constitution, so it can't really be touched. Specifically:

    Art. 2. Le droit exclusif des fuies et colombiers est aboli. Les pigeons seront enfermés aux époques fixées par les communautés durant lequel temps, ils seront regardés comme gibier, et chacun aura le droit de les tuer sur son terrain.

    Art. 3. Le droit exclusif de la chasse ou des garennes ouvertes est pareillement aboli, et tout propriétaire a le droit de détruire ou faire détruire, seulement sur ses possessions, toute espèce de gibier, sauf à se conformer aux lois de police qui pourront être faites relativement à la sûreté publique. [...]

    Essentially article one authorises everyone to hunt pigeons and doves, and article two authorises all landowners to hunt or allow others to do so on their land, except if the rozzers say they can't for security reasons (an exception that's still used all the time now for all sorts of random reasons). Interesting stuff, but just goes to show that this right is deeply ingrained in France.

  8. #8
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    There's now a real and growing sense of optimism in France that our .308's, .30-06's, 8x57 (rimless) etc, etc will be permitted over there for hunting from this September, when they hope/expect that the "new" law will finally be ratified.

    Not holding my breath just yet, but for those who are interested things are looking quite positive... We shall see. However, I also believe that, even once the old "war calibres" are finally "permissible" in law, for hunting use, there's still the matter of regional acceptance by the various hunting associations and I'm not sure what the feelings are on that yet, either for every different region or nationally.

    Some folk can be a bit awkward when they've got a lever in front of them... they just seem compelled to pull it, for pulling it's sake... don't they? Let's hope the old ban is lifted fully, this autumn.

  9. #9
    Pine Marten when you say for "security reasons" I may be wrong but I believe that security actually means safety in this instance, differance in the translation.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    There's now a real and growing sense of optimism in France that our .308's, .30-06's, 8x57 (rimless) etc, etc will be permitted over there for hunting from this September, when they hope/expect that the "new" law will finally be ratified.

    Not holding my breath just yet, but for those who are interested things are looking quite positive... We shall see. However, I also believe that, even once the old "war calibres" are finally "permissible" in law, for hunting use, there's still the matter of regional acceptance by the various hunting associations and I'm not sure what the feelings are on that yet, either for every different region or nationally.

    Some folk can be a bit awkward when they've got a lever in front of them... they just seem compelled to pull it, for pulling it's sake... don't they? Let's hope the old ban is lifted fully, this autumn.
    Are you hoping to take advantage of a relaxing of the rules?

Similar Threads

  1. France - prohibited calibres
    By JabaliHunter in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 18-06-2012, 11:12
  2. One for military history fans
    By Dovebob in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 03:22
  3. How Restrictive Are Military Calibres?
    By liamnjs in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 10:37
  4. Military Humour
    By The Croc in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 13:20
  5. military Rifle Calibres outside the Uk?
    By lwcdart in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-10-2008, 18:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •