Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zummerzet buck

Zummerzet buck

I was all the way down in (not so sunny) Zummerzet on thursday having dropped my son off at the wedding of one of his school pals. The wedding would take place on Friday and I'd made arrangements to go out and try for a roe buck on Friday AM.
    As the forecast for Friday was pants we decided to go out Thurs pm.
    I was taken to some really nice ground on the Somerset/Dorset border and my host spotted a very good buck at the bottom of a valley. I loaded the rifle up but the buck had made its way back into the wood. He hadn't spotted us so we made our way to the downwind edge of the wood and stalked in to see if we could catch up with the him. It wasn't to be this time so we made our way back to the car as darkness began to close in. As we left the ground a quick flick of the lamp revealed several fallow on an adjacent field.
    We met with a friend of my host later that evening and went out for a spot of foxing. 3 foxes fell and we saw several more that were a bit wiser to the lamp.
    My host suggested we go out the following morning anyway so it was asleep for 1 with the alarm set for 4.30 for a 5am start.
    5am prompt and I was collected from the BnB. We made our way to some local ground but the weather was foul....driving rain and strong winds...not the best for deer stalking. At the last gasp of the AM stalk we spotted another clonking buck running across a field of wheat. It stopped to a peep from the butalo but it was a good 220 or more yds away and I missed an attempted neck shot (it was all I could see as the buck was standing in a tram line in the wheat) with the shot just down the right of the bucks neck. A check of the zero showed I was an inch right at 100yds so that was adjusted.
    I thought that was my chances of a Somerset buck gone but my host was determined to get me on a deer and asked if I would like to go out that evening! Does the Pope kiss concrete? It was now 9.30am so my host was just off to work for the day but would collect me at 6pm.....I went back to the BnB to catch up on some much needed beauty sleep and he’s on his way to work!
    That evening I was duly collected at 6pm and we made our way to some different ground. As we left the car I tapped mine hosts shoulder as a doe crossed the gateway to the field we were about to enter. We carefully climbed over the gate and made our way to the edge of a small copse. As we were approaching the copse a good buck was spotted up on the hill above us looking straight at us…up on the sticks (quad sticks J ) and at about 180yds I shot him in the neck, the bullet smashed through the oesophagus then through on to exit the ribs 8 ribs back. A bit far back but given the angle of the shot to be expected. He’d obviously been in the wars with a scratch to his underbelly and a small hole in his haunch from recent fighting
    A very nice 6 point buck grollached amongst murderous horse flies that descended from all angles!
    Attachment 18418
    After a celebratory sip of my home made sloe whisky we then carried on to try for a fallow buck. We spotted two separate groups on the hill, the top one containing what looked like a large buck and 3 prickets. Slowly we made our way around to take advantage of the wind and stalk along the side of the wood. We could hear more beasts in the wood making their way to the edge and, reaching the crest of the hill, we spotted numerous fallow ahead. The light was diminishing fast and despite our best efforts we couldn’t make out with any certainty which were does and which bucks so we retreated back to leave them for another day.
    It was incredible stalking in with so many eyes and ears all on alert and a real buzz to be within about 70yds of so many deer all belching and farting and ripping the grass up.
    The gentleman I was out with knows who he is and I know how much effort he made to make my stay utterly memorable. Thank you.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

So no recommendation to anybody else then

I was out with Jon...Rick O'Shay from the site.....anyone looking for stalking should go out with him.....a true gent and fantastic ground.
    Quad sticks

Limulus, I've also benefitted from Jon's generosity. I shot my first sika stag and my first fallow buck with him one afternoon a few years ago - a great day's stalking that will live on in the memory for a long time.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 21-08-2012 at 16:37.

limulus glad you enjoyed yourself but next time could you bring some better weather with you some summer eh
    you will be glad to know I have now mastered the quad sticks and could probably give you a run for your money in the quick deployment stakes Ok maybe not.
    I hope that horse fly bite on your hand didn't get any worse that looked nasty the little swines certainly pack a punch
    speak soon
    cheers Jon

Quote Originally Posted by RICK O SHEA View Post
    limulus glad you enjoyed yourself but next time could you bring some better weather with you some summer eh
    you will be glad to know I have now mastered the quad sticks and could probably give you a run for your money in the quick deployment stakes Ok maybe not.
    I hope that horse fly bite on your hand didn't get any worse that looked nasty the little swines certainly pack a punch
    speak soon
    cheers Jon
    Fast deployment and Tony yeah right.

Galloway Deer Stalking

I'd deploy them faster than you'd ever deliver them....now jog on
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    i'd deploy them faster than you'd ever deliver them....now jog on
    booom

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I'd deploy them faster than you'd ever deliver them....now jog on
    jog on yeah right, as you say you are what you eat, on that subject how is degsy's sausage lately
    Galloway Deer Stalking

He's just cleaned the ***** off it. Not sue if its from your poop chute or your gob. Now stop flirting
    Quad sticks