Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC Proposals for new gun Certificate

BASC Proposals for new gun Certificate

Just read the proposals for the new application for Gun certificates Vot Either A or B no say on what these proposals mean. the ask for Place of Birth, Works Address, Previous Address for last five years, Height of a person, Sex, Relevant medical conditions, Permission for the police to contact dotors. what has these got to do with shooting and gun ownership and why do the police need this information. BASC should be giving it's members the right to object to any new proposals that are on the new application forms. I suggest that all members of BASC object to any proposal that is nothing to do with shooting. time the police got their own act in order before placing more restrictions of us shooters.

Sounds like the current FAC aplication then, no changes that I can see.
    And I`m not sure what your issue is anyway, Quite frankly I want the police to query every FAC holder enough to determine if they are fit to hold an FAC.

Quote Originally Posted by retsofad View Post
    Just read the proposals for the new application for Gun certificates Vot Either A or B no say on what these proposals mean. the ask for Place of Birth, Works Address, Previous Address for last five years, Height of a person, Sex, Relevant medical conditions, Permission for the police to contact dotors. what has these got to do with shooting and gun ownership and why do the police need this information. BASC should be giving it's members the right to object to any new proposals that are on the new application forms. I suggest that all members of BASC object to any proposal that is nothing to do with shooting. time the police got their own act in order before placing more restrictions of us shooters.
    Do you actually have any form of shotgun or firearm certificate? If you did you will know that you have to provide this information already so im not really sure what your point is here? For the record, if there's only going to be 7 questions as you imply it will be a hell of a lot quicker to complete at renewal time.

Retsofad

I appreciate your position regards BASC - as you have made clear in previous posts. But it is the Home Office - not BASC that have put forward the proposals.

It is the BASC ( and likely other organisations ) that are trying to drum up a response - exactly as you ask for.

The basic information - and it is basic details to enable identity and background checks - requested seems pretty reasonable in the circumstances - and nothing particularly new from the existing system.

The medical issue is arguable - but that is a separate debate and really down to how it should be administered and not least the cost. Do many people believe it is unreasonable to enquire of a GP whether a person applying for a firearm has any medical issues regards their fitness and state of mind?

Really comes down to formatting. Hate the little boxy things - but as the worlds scruffiest writer, can sympathise with those required to read the thing. Boxes also make way for computerised reading - and reduction in cost.

Broadly agree with your last sentence - the system is in a muddle and not properly administered.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Can't see why anyone would object to these questions, and I do not really see anything that is that much different
    I have had to give them permission to contact my doctor on at least my last two renewals, don't know if they did
    or not, but again can't see why you would have a problem with that if you have nothing to hide, in fact it might just pick up
    cases where the person mental state may not conducive to there suitability to having firearms.

I am not a massive fan of BASC but don't really see how you can lay this at their door as Moray Outfitting
    said this is a Home Office proposal not BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Sounds like the current FAC aplication then, no changes that I can see.
    And I`m not sure what your issue is anyway, Quite frankly I want the police to query every FAC holder enough to determine if they are fit to hold an FAC.
    Hmmm very strange post from Retsofad, got me scratching my chin

Quote Originally Posted by retsofad View Post
    I've just taken the time to read all Eleven of your posts - hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrens Mews View Post
    I've just taken the time to read all Eleven of your posts - hmm.
    Yes me too hmmmmmm most strange.

Dear All,

Our firearms team have been working with the HO for some time now, trying to make the licensing system easier for all. One suggestion from the HO is to alter the layout of the forms, hence our asking which form you think is best.

What next? On line forms? Automatic scanning with OCR like with passports? Well more meetings are to be held in the next few weeks, and we will let you know what happens.

David

Is there a proposal for a box that says something like, "I give permission for the police licensing authority to adhere to the Home Office Guidance and apply the law, (not what they think they can make up)"?