Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air rifle and rimfire moderator confusion

air rifle and rimfire moderator confusion

Am I right in thinking that you can just wander into a shop and buy a moderator (such as a SAK) if it's to go on an air rifle, but if it's to go on a rimfire, it needs an FAC slot?

This does rather raise the question of what stops you buying one for an airgun and then just sticking it on a rimfrire when you feel like it... Or are they different moderators?

Yep quite true tho a lot of FAC mods arnt suitable for Air gun but any for .22 will be ok I used to run a Parker hale on a couple as they had 1/2" unf thread and it worked well

whats stopping you well the same as not going over 70mph in your car I guess. But seeing as there is no reason to not have one on your ticket if you ask and want one it shouldnt be a problem even target shooters can get them after HSE and ear damage got involved some years ago and HSE has a Big stick

ATB

Duncan

Big grey area! - Legally if you bought a SAK as an air rifle moderator, then put it on your .22LR you would turn it into an unlicenced Section 1 Moderator.

The issue is with enforcement of this law; lets say you bought a DM80 Moderator for your .22LR and had permission to do so. A few months later you bought a SAK for your air rifle. You go out one night and forget your DM80 so decide to use the SAK instead, and get pulled over by the police...

- As there is no serial number or brand on either, there is no way of the police proving it is a SAK or a DM80
    - If you simly have ".22LR Moderator" from the RFD there is even less grounds for prosecution as again there is no serial number or brand

The issue is that the police understandibly don't want potential section 1 moderators floating around to be used in the illegal gun trade, or by target shooters who haven't got a slot on their licence... but as it's not currently a legal requirment to have a serial number or brand on them it's almost impossible to truly enforce.

The police require you to do a variaition for changing a moderator, however this obviously causes the pointless exercise of changing ".22LR Moderator (No Serial #)" for ".22LR Moderator (No Serial #)"!!!

Ultimately I can't see any issuing force taking issue with you having a moderator on your gun provided that you have permission for a moderator to be fitted to that gun. They might not even be bothered if you were in the situation described above and used your SAK in place of a moderator you'd forgotten to take out of the safe... as long as when the FLO inspects your safe you haven't taken the p*ss and bought 10 different mods "for your air rifle"!!!

They could of course insist that all moderators be given a serial # and proof mark/brand... but that would be like doubling the number of firearms out there and create a load of paperwork. Also what would you do about those already in existence?

When all's said an done it's just a bit of tube!

Like a lot of firearms law it could probably be simplified to allow simply for people with the relevant tickets to be able to buy and sell up to 10 section 1 moderators without variation in the same way shotgun certs work...?

Thanks for that BunnyDoom.

The reason I ask is that I have an FAC slot for a 22 moderator, and have filled it. But would like to get one for an air rifle as well, and am worried about falling foul of the legislation.

I was told by a gun shop in Kent that the .22 Parker hale was 25 quid (air rifle) and 75 quid (with a proof test done and then stamped by the proof house) otherwise no differences to the moderators.
    they are basically illegal here in germany except for rabbit control in graveyards or other sensitive places. Although they do sell them for air rifles, it proves that stupid lawmakers know no national boundaries.
    Martin

The rule of thumb to use is - the moderator falls under the category of the gun to which it will be attached

So for a S.1 gun - the moderator must also be a S.1 item (as in, covered by an FAC)
    For an airgun below the FAC limit - no licence required for the gun/no licence required for the moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Thanks for that BunnyDoom.

The reason I ask is that I have an FAC slot for a 22 moderator, and have filled it. But would like to get one for an air rifle as well, and am worried about falling foul of the legislation.
    You can buy any type of moderator you like for your air rifle without falling afoul of the legislation, as long as you don't put it on your .22LR (I also wouldn't keep it in your rifle cabinet unless it's attached to your air rifle).

You'll notice SAK market themselves as an "Air Rifle/Rimfire" silencer... I'm pretty sure it's for the reasons described above that they do this!

A word of warning though - if the FLO shows up and you have 2 mods in your cabinet and both have powder residue in them... you're screwed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I was told by a gun shop in Kent that the .22 Parker hale was 25 quid (air rifle) and 75 quid (with a proof test done and then stamped by the proof house) otherwise no differences to the moderators.
    they are basically illegal here in germany except for rabbit control in graveyards or other sensitive places. Although they do sell them for air rifles, it proves that stupid lawmakers know no national boundaries.
    Martin
    That's totally correct - there's no difference, however if an unproofed one damages you or your gun then you've no legal comeback ("fit for purpose") against the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    That's totally correct - there's no difference, however if an unproofed one damages you or your gun then you've no legal comeback ("fit for purpose") against the manufacturer.
    The P-H .22 moderators I have are NOT PROOFED - they never were from new & WERE sold as rimfire mods - the proofing of such is a recent money-spinning exercise from the Proof House

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    The P-H .22 moderators I have are NOT PROOFED - they never were from new & WERE sold as rimfire mods - the proofing of such is a recent money-spinning exercise from the Proof House
    Not strictly true. Its a recent money-spinning exercise by RFD's.
    Proof House do not care if your mod is proofed or not. However, an RFD will happily raise the price of a 25 mod to 75 for the priviledge of a 14 proof charge