tracking leads

poppins

wondering is any one is interested in tracking leads and harness,es.
leads in leather and nylon webbing
harness in nylon webbing

Hello Poppins,
I do not understand the question you are asking, what do you want to do? make them, sell them, or buy them from somewhere but do not have an address for the retailer.
Martin

Last edited:
Just wondered as my pal in germany is one of the leaders in this field and he also makes them.
Has anyone learnt how docken works? (tieing up the lead after using it) it is one of the traditions of dog tracking work in germany.
Martin

Do you mean the method of rolling it up and being able to attach it over the shoulder? It does work as it takes you about 5 minutes to unravel it!

Schweißriemen Brisko is the 12m long item, you can see what it looks like under http://www.sfa-bodoband.de/shop/details.php?kat=29&next=0&page=1&back=content&artikel=186
I was helping him out on his retail stand at various shows for 5 years as a favour and he taught me how to do it when the trade was slow.
But as I have not yet (work reasons) got a tracking dog I am getting rusty at it so I will have to persevere. He told me the main reason for doing this was to allow the dog to sit quietly by your side for 5-10 minutes as you wind it up to calm down the dog & you maybe after the track was over .
Yes - only 5 min to do it, but it took me lots of practise until I become proficient at it.
Martin

I had a very good tracking lead and harness made by another person on this site sometime back. This was copied from the nylon harness sold in the bushwear catalogue. However after Todd going through two of these in less than a year I got a leather one made, which up to now is holding up ok.

I would say that there is a niche market for your producing a good quality leather harness and lead, there seems to be a small but growing market for tracking dogs and therefore the equipment needed for them.

Good luck

The above commente were one of the reasons I got a leather tracking lead and also a traditional leather collar for the hound. Although the biothene (think that is what they are made of) tracking leads that Widu and Wolverine use in fluorescent colours are very good and easily seen in poor light if dropped when following.

I felt that a neoprene type harness would not stand up well to being rubbed through sitka and areas of clearfell. Others who use them may disagree. I was also told by several people that a nylon lead has a tendancy to pick up thistle, pine needles and other debris and can be a buuger on the hands if gloves are not used.

I would be interested to know if a tracking harness could be made in all leather and lined with a softer leather, calfskin or something? Would it be cost prohibitive?

From my talks with my pal in germany who does over 60 searches for boar per year the AKAH leather collar are the absolute best available as they have never compomised on quality, but they cost - as always. With leather there is always the getting it wet issue. nylon avoids this.
I think the stuff is already available in Europe so starting up the same business in the UK seems to me not worth it. I would suggest it will be best to go over to the Dortmund jagd & hund exhibition held in feb-march 2013 and see for yourself what is marketed there first before diving in blind.
At the IWA trade show for the two years I did it, there were dozens of pakistani/indian types walking around trying to get our business to make for us the same stuff we were selling but mucheemuchee cheaper they copy existing design but are using low grade leathers and naff brass fittings so the market is pretty well saturated IMHO.
Martin

From my talks with my pal in germany who does over 60 searches for boar per year the AKAH leather collar are the absolute best available as they have never compomised on quality, but they cost - as always. With leather there is always the getting it wet issue. nylon avoids this.
I think the stuff is already available in Europe so starting up the same business in the UK seems to me not worth it. I would suggest it will be best to go over to the Dortmund jagd & hund exhibition held in feb-march 2013 and see for yourself what is marketed there first before diving in blind.
At the IWA trade show for the two years I did it, there were dozens of pakistani/indian types walking around trying to get our business to make for us the same stuff we were selling but mucheemuchee cheaper they copy existing design but are using low grade leathers and naff brass fittings so the market is pretty well saturated IMHO.
Martin

This is the very collar I now have. When she was still young I got a cheaper collar in the knowledge she would eventually outgrow it. I then bought the size up in this one. If looked after it should last several dogs lifetimes so I do not feel that £40 is a bad investment. The lead takes a bit more looking after as it is dragged through all manner of crap. Having said that I know that a friend is using one that must be many years old and is well cared for so is still going strong.

these leads 103 inches long and have gilt rings fitted at stages to allow it to worn over the shoulder in loop and short lead.
round the waist to give a longer lead.
as lead with a loop for your hand.
thinking
leather £22 including postage.
nylon webbing £15 including postage.
the nylon pictured is one i made for a sight member 9 months ago and is used regularly

Attachments

• strap1.JPG
    strap1.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 32
  • strap2.JPG
    strap2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 34
  • strap3.JPG
    strap3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 27
  • strap4.JPG
    strap4.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 24
  • strap5.JPG
    strap5.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 30
Poppins

While the workmanship looks first class, these are not what I would use or call a true tracking lead, or at least for use in the way the continentals track with one.

They need to be typically 6m-10m long and only really require to have a fixing mechanism at on end, the other may have a small loop stitched I or left simply as an end. They need to be this long to allow for dropping when the dog goes under or over cover you cannot follow directly behind, and then picked up again when the obstacle is clear. They are not attached during a normal track to the handler sothe dog does not get any mis read signals or pulls when straining against a weight.

What would say a 10m long flat lead cost as described above?

They might more correctly be called 'Stalking leads' or 'Pirschleine' to use the German. More for keeping the dog under control or close by when stalking - and maybe used as a short tracking lead in an emergency.

ok call them stalking leads .
long tracking leads can also be to a length that suits.
there some members who tracking leads already from me

Last edited:
They might more correctly be called 'Stalking leads' or 'Pirschleine' to use the German. More for keeping the dog under control or close by when stalking - and maybe used as a short tracking lead in an emergency.

Is that the same as a Jäger lead?

Back