Thread: switching between subsonics and standard velocity

switching between subsonics and standard velocity

Possibly a stupid question, or one with no simple answer, so please be gentle...

If you zero a .22LR using subsonics, how much is the POI likely to change if you shift to standard (or even high) velocity rounds without adjusting the scope? Is there a simple rule of thumb to use to correct your point of aim? Or is it a matter of shooting some test patterns and working out?

Thanks

someone once told me that a zero at 30m with subs will give you 100m with cci stingers but I haven't tried it myself

Shoot your own tests at the distance you mostly use.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Possibly a stupid question, or one with no simple answer, so please be gentle...

If you zero a .22LR using subsonics, how much is the POI likely to change if you shift to standard (or even high) velocity rounds without adjusting the scope? Is there a simple rule of thumb to use to correct your point of aim? Or is it a matter of shooting some test patterns and working out?

Thanks
    You do need to do this with your own rifle but as a guide my .22 when zeroed at 60 yrds with Eley subs will zero at 85 yrds when using Eley High Velocity.
    Mid range height with subs is approx 1" and approx 2" with HV.
    My rifle has a 16" barrel and scope is centered 1.5" above bore.
    Hope this helps,

Andy.

I use an Anschutz 1416...zeroed with Winchester subs @ 25yds, the POI @ 60yds is approx 1" high.
    Standard Winchester 'Rabbit' ammo gives a POI approx (Close to) the same at those distances
    i.e. @ 25yds makes the sub. hole bigger! & @ 60yds is similar but less tight a group..approx 1 1/2" grp.

Check it with your own rifle though. ATB.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I have found that when switching between 22LR of pronounced velocity and bullet weight difference, there is also shift in windage POI to account for.~Muir

Thanks for the replies folks.

So I went out and did some tests yesterday eveing, comparing what I had available (Winchester subs and CCI Velocitor, CZ 455 with SAK moderator).

Subs zeroed at 55 paces, Velocitor was 3 inches high and an inch to the right at that distance. Interesting - and I now know the right correction to make when lamping bunnies and I bump into a fox (always have a spare magazine loaded with the CCIs in a pocket).