Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harkila, gore-tex, warranty

harkila, gore-tex, warranty

In February last year I bought a pair of Harkila GTX stalker boots, they have had little use, I would guess a dozen or so outings, as I more often than not wear wellies. I wore them this morning and there was a heavy dew on the ground, well I might as well have just been wearing socks, I got soaked. I had noticed having damp feet in the past but thought it could just have been sweat, but evidently not.
    I got in and emailed Scott country (don't panic, this isn't going to turn into a slagging contest about service), to be fair to them, they were very quick and helpful with their response, however, their response was simply to say that the boots only have a 12 month warranty, so there is nothing they can do, and suggested I contact Harkila's agent in Scotland. (he is on holiday currently, so I'll see what he says on his return).
    I also checked on gore-tex's website, and whilst they don't offer a warranty as such, they have a 'kep you dry' assurance, so I have emailed them to see if they will honour the agreement.
    I also have a pair of Pro hunter trousers, bought at approximately the same time which I know are under warranty, but they too let water in, badly, and the zip has broken on the fly too.
    Combined cost of trousers and boots would be nearly 400 if memory serves me right, I would hope from that kind of out lay that they might fare somewhat better over such a short time.
    I doubt very much I will be a returning customer of Harkila, unless the agent in Scotland manages to pull some magic out of the bag, but it also makes me feel that really, there is no such thing as water proof and breathable, despite what gore-tex might have you beleive, I have never found a hunting peice of clothing that actually does what it says on the tin.
    Anyhoo, rant over......

I was looking for a pair of walking boots years ago when gore-tex was relatively new to being used in footwear. I was told that gore-tex was not really suitable for fhootwear due to the constant flexing associated with footwear, I have stuck with Scarpa good quality leather boots with a regular clean and wax - they have taken me through moor, woodland, swamp, Killimanjaro and Mont Blanc!
    Bad news on the trousers as well though - I was considering buying a pro-hunter suit.

DH .308

You are not the first to complain about these boots I've heard one or two similar stories from other disgruntled customers.

Frank

Remember, Goretex and its imitators require the internal temperature to be higher than the external in order for the barrier to work. It's an active rather than passive material. Not wellies.

You have to be active. Applies across all the Brands and products.

If you want waterproof then wear a wetsuit

Stan

I had a 2 year old Pro-Hunter jacket that had a dodgy zip and fraying back pocket lining. I emailed the UK agent, they asked me to send it to them and it was fixed under warranty and returned within a month. Excellent Service.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Remember, Goretex and its imitators require the internal temperature to be higher than the external in order for the barrier to work. It's an active rather than passive material. Not wellies.

You have to be active. Applies across all the Brands and products.

If you want waterproof then wear a wetsuit

Stan
    I walked for over an hour, I wasn't stood in a ditch full of water, they should provide better waterproofing than that, if what you say is true, then gore-tex are missing a trick, because their promise is to keep you dry, end of, I will wait to see what they have to say on the matter and also if Harkila want to help me out. Unfortunaly, truly waterproof clothing, (wetsuits aside) isn't breathable so you get just as wet from sweat, but I question just how waterproof all these membranes are, I don't know of any that are perfect (otherwise I would have one and not be complaining).

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I walked for over an hour, I wasn't stood in a ditch full of water, they should provide better waterproofing than that, if what you say is true, then gore-tex are missing a trick, because their promise is to keep you dry, end of, I will wait to see what they have to say on the matter and also if Harkila want to help me out. Unfortunaly, truly waterproof clothing, (wetsuits aside) isn't breathable so you get just as wet from sweat, but I question just how waterproof all these membranes are, I don't know of any that are perfect (otherwise I would have one and not be complaining).
    I have sat out all evening in a highseat during torrential rain wearing the German army flecktarn goretex coat with hood up & pants army surplus they cost me bought as new unused ca. 50 quid.
    Not a drop of damp on me.
    My mates used them for a 2 week horseback riding hunt in BC Canada with all sorts of falling off and tree branch attacks and they found the same effect so it works for me. Sod the BS high priced wanabbes the military have a higher testing & specification budget than any hunting apparal manufacturer.
    Martin

+1 for the milsurp Bundeswehr flecktarn goretex shell jacket. I paid 6 for one on ebay uk - they're on there all over the place if you search under 'flecktarn' - and it doesn't let a drop in. Rolls up small enough to not notice it in a roe sack or pack and does double duty as a sitting pad on wet ground.

Hello All.
    Over many year's of stalking and shooting because of injuries due to a misspent youth I have nearly always worn boots. Have tried all sort's and brand's over the years. For at least the last twelve I have worn Meindl, Glockner's nearly every day all weather's and some serious terrain. My opinion only, but they have never let me down once , a great boot that will take serious wear, but like any gear you need to treat them with a good leather protector.
    Also paying top whack for the designer gear does not guarantee you have the best .
    Regards WIDU.
    TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND. AND NEVER TO YIELD.

Also paying top whack for the designer gear does not guarantee you have the best .
    Shssh ..................... you will upset someone.