Thread: 58gn v max .243 reloads

58gn v max .243 reloads

I am loading 58 gn v max for my parker hale .243. With any new load i always start by establishing oil to touching the lands so i can back off slightly. In this rifle with this bullet it won't touch the lands! So book oal is 2.600" i have loaded to oal of 2.650" (any longer and there is not enough bullet in the neck) Has anyone else come across this?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    I am loading 58 gn v max for my parker hale .243. With any new load i always start by establishing oil to touching the lands so i can back off slightly. In this rifle with this bullet it won't touch the lands! So book oal is 2.600" i have loaded to oal of 2.650" (any longer and there is not enough bullet in the neck) Has anyone else come across this?
    Yep. To be honest a lot of bullets won't unless they are target style which tend to be longer anyway. Ref the vmax 58Gr I just use the factory col on this one.

Not surprising at all actually, considering the .243 was really designed for heavier bullets. I've used 60gr HP's in the past, and just set them to SAAMI/CIP OAL, crimped and was done with it. They shot ragged, one hole groups at 100 yds. When dealing with bullets like this (short for their cartridge), I have found a crimp really does help (similar to the lighter bullets in the Hornet).

I have no proof, but theorize that when a bullet is that short, the crimp allows for a more consistent neck tension and allows pressures to build over a slight longer time (milliseconds), thus allowing the case to adhere to the chamber walls and the bullet to remain concentric as it leaves the case and proceeds down the throat. Just my personal theory...

All I know is that it works...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Not surprising at all actually, considering the .243 was really designed for heavier bullets. I've used 60gr HP's in the past, and just set them to SAAMI/CIP OAL, crimped and was done with it. They shot ragged, one hole groups at 100 yds. When dealing with bullets like this (short for their cartridge), I have found a crimp really does help (similar to the lighter bullets in the Hornet).

I have no proof, but theorize that when a bullet is that short, the crimp allows for a more consistent neck tension and allows pressures to build over a slight longer time (milliseconds), thus allowing the case to adhere to the chamber walls and the bullet to remain concentric as it leaves the case and proceeds down the throat. Just my personal theory...

All I know is that it works...
    I crimp all my hornet reloads so may try with the .243 . Cheers

Different caliber but my 204 has a 200thou jump and the bullet is seated just over the book coal.
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    I load 60gn Sierra hp for foxes, @ 2.600 and they also shoot ragged holes @ 100 yds.