determine the age of wild boar

Holland&Holland

Hopefully the link Pdf works, it shows you the different stages on account of the change in teeth. Not clearly visible in the picture is that the mature teeth (4 white ones in the middle after 18 months) have a groove. This is totally diffrent from the "milky"teeth (grey coloured in the picture), they are smooth and do not have a groove.

translate
snijtand = fronttooth (or "cutting tooth")
breed = wide
maand = month
wissel = change
verschijnt = appears

Update with a picture from Pirsch magazine courtesy of Martin, thx for sending the picture.

Last edited:
That would be absolutely brilliant if they ran with their mouths open and slow enough to be seen :D
Joking aside that is very interesting.
Those of us that shoot abroad will probably not get involved in ageing them but as they are turning up in UK more and more now some of the lucky land owners will find this very useful.
I have a book entitled Vor und nach der jagde and information of this sort isn't listed even tho the book is aimed at preparing someone for the Deutche Jagde Prufung.

Hello H&H,

Very useful, thank you. I have just aged the boar I shot last week, which I thought to be around 2 - 3 years old. Using your charts this proved to be correct as molar M3 was in place but with very little sign of any wear, assuming my interpretation is correct.

So from birth to 180lb dressed out in about 2.5 years!

ATB

Tom

Hello H&H,

Very useful, thank you. I have just aged the boar I shot last week, which I thought to be around 2 - 3 years old. Using your charts this proved to be correct as molar M3 was in place but with very little sign of any wear, assuming my interpretation is correct.

So from birth to 180lb dressed out in about 2.5 years!

ATB

Tom

Hi Tom, the M3 appears around the 20-30 months mark. In 36 months it is fully "out", as you can see in the bottom part of the first page marked M3. So you can look at the gumline if it matches the pictures between 24 and 36 mnd.
Its theory but a fair estimation. :D

I have one of these help sheets from Pirsch magazine so pm me an email address and I will send it to you & you can then add it to the mix (dont know how to upload on here yet).
Martin

Back