Blaser R8 pro success

Dawnraider

Anybody got one,i'm thinking of getting one but haven't got my hands on one yet but wonderd if their as comfortable to hold and use as they make out,my hands are getting a bit stiff these days and i'm getting pee'd off worrying about nice walnut stocks getting scratched and wet so feel the urge for a placky rifle.Another thing would it be ok to have one scope and two barrels or better to have two scopes.
Thanks Neil.

Blaser scope mounts may be good but I think your stretching things to expect one scope to work and be zeroed on two different barrels.

As you already probably know deep down your really looking at two scopes.

Blaser scope mounts may be good but I think your stretching things to expect one scope to work and be zeroed on two different barrels.

As you already probably know deep down your really looking at two scopes.

Not necessarily, a good repeatable scope with target turrets (could use standard turrets) will work you just need to make a note of the click adjustments between the two calibres. Yes i would still like to fire a zero check shot before shooting live quarry but there is no reason why that wont work, good scopes such as the Nightforce NXS etc will repeat their adjustments reliably every time.

I have 2 S&B zeniths already so its not a problem having two scopes just wondering if it was necessary,they don't have ballistic turrets so would be a case of altering between each swap if that means having to check zero then i'd rather have the two,just wondered how good the mount really was at repeatability when swapped between two different barrels.

I dont disagree one scope would work if your lucky enough to get your loads printing around the same mark .
personally I have two scopes one for each barrrel 243 and 30 .06 works fine for me without the messsing about
I have the R8 and think its a fantastic rifle regards pete .

I have 2 S&B zeniths already so its not a problem having two scopes just wondering if it was necessary,they don't have ballistic turrets so would be a case of altering between each swap if that means having to check zero then i'd rather have the two,just wondered how good the mount really was at repeatability when swapped between two different barrels.

get a set of set of mounts for each barrel / scope no need to change then just barrel swap regards pete .

A properly adjusted mount may not necisarily fit other barrels without further adjustment! You really need 2 setups if you are using regularly, if its for occasional use then you could swap and re-zero, but why buy the best and then compromise the concept!

Thanks guys i thought that might be the case so i best hang onto the two scopes then,just got to try and get look at one if its not nice i'll go for the standard pro.

A properly adjusted mount may not necisarily fit other barrels without further adjustment! You really need 2 setups if you are using regularly, if its for occasional use then you could swap and re-zero, but why buy the best and then compromise the concept!

This is an important point which is rarely mentioned.

Each saddle mount needs "tuned" (for the want of a better description) to the barrel it is fitted too. You really need two saddle mounts if both barrels will be used regularly.

Hmmm first time I had heard of this "tuned bit:-

Each saddle mount needs "tuned" (for the want of a better description) to the barrel it is fitted too. You really need two saddle mounts if both barrels will be used regularly.

It's probably rarely mentioned as it's a negative point ................................................... owners tend to ignore/suppress any negatives about their Blasers :rolleyes:.

So DR you had better budget another £300+ fr the second mount.

R93 in .223/.243/300Win Mag/.375H&H so 4 scopes.
Dont have any problems - just the cost but heyho.

DavieH

Got to admit reading all the hype i thought the saddle mount would just clamp straight onto another barrel and away we go but i didn't realise that the mount needed to be tuned,i guess another mount it is then plus bolt head,mag insert,anybody know what the mag inserts cost or would it be better just to have the whole mag/trigger unit.

The mounts on my 25-06 and 243 are interchangeable, although the scope from one does not match the zero of the other, only a couple of inches adrift. My 308 was a good bit different making other mounts too tight or loose depending on barell they came from.

Anybody got one,i'm thinking of getting one but haven't got my hands on one yet but wonderd if their as comfortable to hold and use as they make out,my hands are getting a bit stiff these days and i'm getting pee'd off worrying about nice walnut stocks getting scratched and wet so feel the urge for a placky rifle.Another thing would it be ok to have one scope and two barrels or better to have two scopes.
Thanks Neil.

Yes, own an R8 Pro in 6.5 x 55 and have a slot for a 300WM barrel. Yes, as comfy as they say, perfectly balanced and (perhaps I'm blinkered) just awesome! The straight pull is a joy, the engineering is incredible, the accuracy is fantastic..... I LOVE MINE TO BITS..

I have a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 which I fully intend to use with the 300 too.. Can't afford to run 2 2k hunting scopes.. And what's all this tuning nonsense??? Pray tell how that is accomplished, there is nothing to adjust to 'tune' anything! If you are talking about the screws attached to the quick release levers, you need to adjust these to a. Set the required tension on the qr levers and b. make sure it's straight... Nothing to do with 'tuning to each barrel!'

All one needs to do is zero with one barrel and then with the other noting the difference in clicks. It will need a couple of test shots but that would be the case with the same barrel if it had been taken down.. I know it should go back to within an inch of zero but would never rely on that if shooting live quarry

Last edited:
Yes, own an R8 Pro in 6.5 x 55 and have a slot for a 300WM barrel. Yes, as comfy as they say, perfectly balanced and (perhaps I'm blinkered) just awesome! The straight pull is a joy, the engineering is incredible, the accuracy is fantastic..... I LOVE MINE TO BITS..

I have a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 which I fully intend to use with the 300 too.. Can't afford to run 2 2k hunting scopes.. And what's all this tuning nonsense??? Pray tell how that is accomplished, there is nothing to adjust to 'tune' anything! If you are talking about the screws attached to the quick release levers, you need to adjust these to a. Set the required tension on the qr levers and b. make sure it's straight... Nothing to do with 'tuning to each barrel!'

You stated what Claret Dabbler stated "set the required tension on the QR levers". Perhaps he should have stated "fine tune the tension on the QR levers"!

Back