ppi money through do i get a mitsubishi l200 / td5 disco / p38 rangerover

chris .222

just got my ppi money got about £4000 and unsure what truck to get ive currently got a 300tdi disco but want to ungrade help please

Don't touch a P38 with a barge pole unless your expecting another payout soon. They spend more time in the garage than on the road.
L200 good trucks and the separate back is very useful in keeping the cab a nicer place to be whilst having all the crap in the back. Make sure it has a rear top though.
TD5 good residual values especially if you get a 90/110. However make sure once again that your good with a spanner, have a good pair of ear defenders and what money you gain back when you decide to sell it can go along way to paying for the years of chiropractor work you'll need afterwards!!

Don't buy the p38 too many reliability problems and high part prices, td5's are better and more family
friendly than the l200 but you will get a newer car for your 4k with the pick up just make sure the
service history is up to date.

I know plenty of people with TD5 and they have had far more problems than I have ever had with my L200 and would pick reliability as a key deciding factor when choosing a 4x4, parts are easy to come by cheaply from Milners Off Road too.

L200 all the way my old man has had his for around 4 years now, bought it second hand with very low mileage used it in the UK and then shipped it over to Cyprus using it daily up in the mountains of Paphos, never let's him down.

I was looking for 3 months for a TD5, I could only get a high milage for the 3K I was wanting to spend, there are a few about the 85K miles that do come up, but few and far between.....If you're in no rush, shop about, take your time. You will find far more available for the 4K you have. Read up about them, ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement) Suspension can cause problems as can the Air bag suspension, which in turn causes the compressor to fail. Also issues with the injector rail. The engine though, is one of the best on the market, looked after, will go over 200K.

I have ended up with a L200 myself, came with a CaddyBox rear fitted, MPG is much and such the same as a TD5 so nothing gained or lost there.

P38, I just wouldn't!

L200 , the only thing i dont like is they have the turning circle of an ocean going liner !!!
TD5 disco very good but as already been said suspension issues (just replaced my air with springs )

Hi Ive had both a L200 which was a good truck no problems at all, and a P38 Range thingy fantastic drive but expencive to maintain.
Cant comment on the disco
I would have a L200 again hope this is of use

The engine though, is one of the best on the market, looked after, will go over 200K.

Tartinjock i would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the seven grand bolt failures of the TD5 they are no where near as good an engine as the TD 300 series numurous have head gasket failures arround 90k on the clock. I had TD5 Disco with all the suspension problems you stated above several times in the eight years i had it. The TD5 Disco also has a reputation that beyond eight years old they become a problem this i have seen with many of my friends that also had them. Back to the OP i would recommend getting Toyota Hilux they are the best utility truck.

Jimbo

Jimbo

L200 all the way mate ,I've had defenders,disco's etc but I love my l200 it's comfortable both summer and winter reliable ,capable off road with correct tyre choice carries a good load Could not be happier with it...

Keep the 300tdi disco and stick the cash in the bank ;)
My 1997 300tdi Disco went straight through the mot today with no advisories :)

Daz

Check insurance out.
I ran a quote on Meercat site and cheapest was £700 for a 55 plate L200!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clean License for 32 years, no accidents or claims in that time, no illness, i am 49.
I pay just over £300 for my Freelander.
I was shocked i can tell you. Presume its because its a commercial even though i stated only S.D.P.
Just a thought.

Yorkie.

Tartinjock i would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the seven grand bolt failures of the TD5 they are no where near as good an engine as the TD 300 series numurous have head gasket failures arround 90k on the clock.
Jimbo

You've not reminded me, it not a failure I have heard of, I've had a few dealing with the engines. The 300tdi, is a good engine, been working on those daily since '97, although the turbo is prone to failure.

Back to the original post- What have you bought? If anything?

TJ

You've not reminded me, it not a failure I have heard of, I've had a few dealing with the engines. The 300tdi, is a good engine, been working on those daily since '97, although the turbo is prone to failure.

Back to the original post- What have you bought? If anything?

TJ

Don't want to sound rude but what rock you bin hidin under the TD5 Disco and Defender engine made National News Headlines with the seven grand bolt failure. The bolt held the oil pump and came loose causing the pump to fail and resulting in seized enging and a repair bill of seven grand hence the terminology the seven grand bolt. The BBC watch dog also requested TD5 owners at the time of the oil pump bolt failures to report other failures and that is where it was stated that it was a good one that managed over 90k without the head gasket failing with a repair bill approx 3k. I know of three now sat at garage with this problem all approx 85k on clock.

As for what i have and do drive Series 3 88 diesel, Landy disco Tdi, TD5 Disco, Defender 110 that i have just parted with for Toyota Hilux Invincible. I still have the Series 3. Other than the Series 3 i will not drive Landrover again.

Jimbo

L200 , the only thing i dont like is they have the turning circle of an ocean going liner !!!
TD5 disco very good but as already been said suspension issues (just replaced my air with springs )

Hope you insurance is still valid with the spring mod i would definately check.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Check insurance out.
I ran a quote on Meercat site and cheapest was £700 for a 55 plate L200!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clean License for 32 years, no accidents or claims in that time, no illness, i am 49.
I pay just over £300 for my Freelander.
I was shocked i can tell you. Presume its because its a commercial even though i stated only S.D.P.
Just a thought.

Yorkie.

That quotes a RIP OFF just bought new Hilux Invincible and insurance Fully Comp, Protected No Claims me and the long haired one to drive £298-00. As Cheap as my 59 plate Landy 110 i have just parted with. Did you try LV (Liverpool Victoria).

Jimbo

Jimbo
That was the cheapest quote from a whole page full.Admiral it was. I did it out of curiosity as i need a new shooting motor. Should i find one i will be seeking some advice about Insurance.

Yorkie.

Back