Tracking Dog Harness

unlacedgecko

Following on from the recent tracking dog harness thread, I thought I would tell you about mine. I had a look on the internet at several sites. Some seemed to feature a large plastic buckle which I didn't like, as I thought it would not be as durable as the rest of the harness. I didn't like the idea of the neoprene ones, as I think that they would quickly get damaged going through brambles etc. And I am lazy so didn't want the hassle of caring for leather. I also thought that the Niggeloh ones were quite expensive.

I recently received mine from Aaron at Strong Stuff (see below for website).
DSCF3310.jpg
http://strong-stuff.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Aaron normally makes strong dog, terrier and lurcher gear. But I thought that his road work harnesses would be easily used for deer tracking. Each one is individually made to your measurements. They are also guaranteed for life (with the exception of chew damage). As a modification I had a handle put across the rear, next to the clip. The idea behind this is that it can be held to take pressure off the clip, making it easier to release the dog from the lead at the end of the track for the chase.
DSCF3311.jpg
I also bought a 10m tracking lead from him. Both the harness and the lead are made from black triple layered nylon webbing. They are triple stitched along the entire length, with extra stitching at stress points. The fittings are solid British brass, so that they don't rust.

DSCF3313.jpg

The harness was £60 and the tracking lead was £35. I haven't used either in anger yet, as Poppy the Labrador is still in training, but I will keep you all updated as to how they perform.

Aaron is extremely approachable (if that is the right word for someone I have only ever spoken to on the telephone) and is happy to modify/alter products to your requirements. He also offers an excellent after sales service. If anyone is looking for a source for working dog gear, I strongly recommend him.

I am not in anyway affiliated with Strong Stuff or Aaron, but I though I would give fellow SD members my views on harnesses.

I have had collars from Aaron he is a great lad to deal with. I am going to get a harness and police lead from him when my new dog is fully grown

i have known Aaron from he first started out making collars and i have still some around the garage as i no longer keep the breed they were for. his stuff is very good and will out last the dogs. good to deal with as well

Back