Distinguished Member
guys need some advice on primer pocket uniforming
had my new rcbs prep center out yesterday loading up some foxing rounds
and read on the box the extras you can add to it so in the sportsman today
picked up a primer pocket tool to add to the prep center
never used one before just a primer wire brush to clean powder crud etc
just need some advice on how you guys use yours for best results

regards pete

Hi mate,I am not familiar with them either,not the reply you were looking for,why do you want a mess about doing it,what will you gain from it

Pete

I have a RCBS prep centre and was using the 'wire brush' primer pocket cleaner you have just purchased..... I didn't like it, It didn't seem to do the job well enough. Instead I got hold of a pocket cleaner that resembles a stumpy flat blade screwdriver and it seems to scrape the crap out quickly and effectively without damaging the brass... It fits on the Prep Centre... Cant remember where I got it from !

Regards

sticks

I use a manual lyman one - just stick it in and twist until it stops cutting brass away as it will only remove a set amount to standardise the pockets. Very simple really.

I bought mine after trying to seat primers in 17 Rem brass and damaging the primers due to pockets being too small.

Pete

I have a RCBS prep centre and was using the 'wire brush' primer pocket cleaner you have just purchased..... I didn't like it, It didn't seem to do the job well enough. Instead I got hold of a pocket cleaner that resembles a stumpy flat blade screwdriver and it seems to scrape the crap out quickly and effectively without damaging the brass... It fits on the Prep Centre... Cant remember where I got it from !

Regards

sticks

sticks thats exactly what i found the brush not really doing a good enough job
this new tool looks as if it will just lathe out so to speak a set amount very quickly
have to set it up and give it a go regards pete .

Try the k&m primer pocket uniforing tool , there is none better

I use the K&M uniforming tool, however from experience i have found that the pockets do not settle down untill after 3 firings, in other words on three successive occaisions the tool has removed a small amount of material from the pockets but on the fourth reloading cycle none was removed.
I know uniform after 3 firings.

Ian.

perfection neil exactly what youve been looking for in your 1000 yrd home loads regards pete .
I don't know mate so somebody might put me in the picture to how uniforming the primer pockets will affect my accuracy,I am always ready to listen and learn,where is Muir when you need him :D

I don't know mate so somebody might put me in the picture to how uniforming the primer pockets will affect my accuracy,I am always ready to listen and learn,where is Muir when you need him :D

If you are looking to shoot at 1000yds+ then its all about reducing your ES and SD to the absolute minimum, therefore you must do everything possible to make your loads as uniform as possible. Primer pockets are just another aspect of this.

Try the k&m primer pocket uniforing tool , there is none better

Yup also use the K & M tool. Apart from cleaning the pocket it actually maintains a constant depth to the pocket of 122 thou (small rifle) and 131 (large rifle) Reloading cases is all about pruducing clones and the use of this gadget assists with that goal.

Pete

Just re read your original post... What you have purchased is a primer pocket cleaner, not a uniformer. Like others on here I use a K&M uniformer. Having said that I tend to use Lapua brass and my uniformer does not remove any brass from the pocket until after several firings.

Regards

Sticks

Pete

Just re read your original post... What you have purchased is a primer pocket cleaner, not a uniformer. Like others on here I use a K&M uniformer. Having said that I tend to use Lapua brass and my uniformer does not remove any brass from the pocket until after several firings.

Regards

Sticks

hi sticks
just checked packaging states R C B S PRIMER POCKET UNIFORMER
so would that be the same tool as the k and m one as spud uses

regards pete .

Guys, dont use your uniformer to clean primer pockets, the residue left by primers is as hard as aluminium oxide and will blunt your cutter, use a dedicated pocket cleaner before uniforming primer pockets.

Ian.

Back