Wood Chip Boilers - Wood chip fuel supply in Warwickshire

Nitroexpress

I am pleased to annouce that I have the opportunity to work in the renewable fuel industry in Warwickshire

My role will be providing felling / extraction of timber from local woodland improvement schemes, processing the fuel chips & delivery to the end users in a verity of different methods.

The group also provides boiler sales nationwide so if anyone is interested in a system give me a PM or visit http://www.warwickshirewoodfuel.com/

images11.jpg

Wood chip fuel

Hackschnitzelkessel_011.gif

Heizomat Boilers systems

pt31.jpg

Example of small scale extraction equipment

Nitroexpress
Express Rifle - Warwickshire Wood Fuels

Whats the filling intervals for the boiler?
This system is well proven and very popular here in Germany.
Whats is your cubic metre price for (Hackschnitzel)?
Martin

Although not a wood chip burner my boss has a outside log burner in his barn providing hot water for his central heating and baths showers Ect ,one big burn a day and it does a 7/8 bed farm house no probs ,amazing bit of kit cost 12 k and should pay for its self in 4 yrs ,should it break down or he goes on holiday his oil burner kicks in simples .
So good he now does guided tours and he has nick named it berther lol a minor tourist attraction in the village
norma

Sustainable fuel is the future! The problem with "green" fuels at the moment is by the time you have processed it and the driven it half way round the country or to power plants you have lost any benefit and in my opinion environmental benefits!

There is a burner on the market built to take arb or tree surgeons quality chip that contains quite a lot of green leaf matter. Power stations basically have 3 grades with arb chip being the lowest and pure chip been the highest.

The beauty of these burners that take green chip is it can be sourced locally and uses a lower quality and priced chip. The boiler has 2 stages for the chip, one for burning and one for drying pre burn. These burners that utile a local product must be better than driving chip all round the country!?

Hi Nitroexpress

could you PM me your contact info as I have to run an event in Warwickshire later in the year on managing woodlands for woodfuel and biodiversity and it may be something we could link up on?

regards

Charlie Horsford
(Heartwoods Project)

Sustainable fuel is the future! The problem with "green" fuels at the moment is by the time you have processed it and the driven it half way round the country or to power plants you have lost any benefit and in my opinion environmental benefits!

Totally agree with your comment & it something I have thought about carefully - I am only doing local fuel chip (only the boiler sales are nationwide).

I also operate companies which deliver aggrgates & collect garden waste for composting ~ It will be key to our model / sustainablity to utilise vehicles which are already on the road to either do a 'backload' or as a 'milk round' with other products going out.

Dale.

Express Rifles - Warwickshire Wood Fuels

Hi Nitroexpress

could you PM me your contact info as I have to run an event in Warwickshire later in the year on managing woodlands for woodfuel and biodiversity and it may be something we could link up on?

regards

Charlie Horsford
(Heartwoods Project)

I will speak to the other members of the team & get back to you Charlie.

Kind Regards

Dale

www.warwickshirewoodfuel.com

Last edited:
I am presently with a major company located in Austria producing gas engines and so now I do have a lot of interest in the future of alternative energy sourcing.
I have learnt a lot at this company about flaregas/landfill gas/furnace gas/woodgas etc gaseous fuels being used worldwide to feed these huge 4 stroke engines, the main supplier of them in the UK is Clarke power.
It has really added an interesting supplement to my 40 year engineering background plus where i am living in Germany is over 60% woodland and the waste usage is a major topic most evenings in my local pub as a lot of folks in my village own some small woodland parcels.
The future really is as you said decentralised energy as moving chips/pellets and other composting material across country is counterproductive.
It surprises me that in Germany there are ca. 3000 biomass energy units and I believe in the UK presently only 60 units. With a lot of green waste in the UK this has also got to be the future way to go.
Martin

We have a bio mass powerstaion nr to us and it is taking all the timber from a 100+ mile radius to keep it going .It is taking timber away from other users because they are willing to pay more because of the subs that they claim on the powerstation one local chipboard manufacture strugled to get enough timber to keep it runing on all its shifts last year because of the shortage of timber!!! .

We have a bio mass PowerStation nrto us and it is taking all the timber from a 100+ mile radius to keep it going.It is taking timber away from other users because they are willing to pay morebecause of the subs that they claim on the PowerStation one local chipboardmanufacture struggled to get enough timber to keep it running on all its shiftslast year because of the shortage of timber!!! .

That’s a problem with the classification of materials - there is plenty ofwoody material available for larger biomass facilities from compostingoperations. Unfortunately the public in the UK is very bad at keeping plastics& other 'tramp' materials out of the green waste going to compostingfacilities which makes the biomass wood from the composting process'contaminated' even though it’s a small percentage compared to the woodcontent.

TRUST ME IT’S NOT EASY TO GET IT OUT ON A LARGE SCALE OPERATION!

Power stations take lots of fresh chip, Stobarts will collect if you can load it onto their artic. Most of the FC wood goes for pulp, we import most of the rest, criminal!!

Power stations take lots of fresh chip, Stobarts will collect if you can load it onto their artic. Most of the FC wood goes for pulp, we import most of the rest, criminal!!
One of stobarts directors owns a large share in the power station that i was on about. Britain is or was the 2nd largest importer of timber after Japan as most of the soft wood grown here is only fit for pulp and is no good for building timber.

There is talk that our farming company that farms 6k acres may branch into growing maize for biomas ,that may be interesting 500 acres of maize in one block

Maize is grown all over Germany 11 million hectares total for agricultural & 2 million of that is maize, it is now causing a boring monocultural landscape just to get biomass methane + E10 petrol .
The farmers have fixed contracts to supply to the biomass electrical energy producer (usually another local farmer who has branched out into it but has not enough of his own land to grow a years supply of maize).
Now the talk is for going over to a mix of other crops to create the methane - switchgrass with a maize gene added to it is mentioned but am not sure if that will be allowed re the gene manipulation laws.
The maize field is for most wildlife almost a desert except for roe, boar & foxes.
The maize price has shot up on the world market due to the American drought so is a real moneyspinner at the moment if you are not locked into a biomass supply contract.
Where I now work supplys the rolls royce version of these biomass gensets they cost millions but generate about 30000 quid electricity per week and will last for 60000 hours before major refurbishment is needed.
Martin

Last edited:
I have looked at Biomass units for customers, at the moment the biggest hurdle is that the initial cost is high, I am sure as the idea gains ground that the unit cost of boilers will reduce and the balance shift. the majority of the units I have seen fitted in the last couple of years have been fitted to take advantage of the renewable energy tarif schemes from the government, with one boiler serving 2 or more properties, I have one customer who has a chip burner feeding about 5 properties on his estate, it works because the estate generates 300 odd tons of wood waste a year, and they chip it themselves. I think wood pellet boilers may well have a place in domestic off grid properties, as a substitute for LPG or Oil as it is a "handsfree" fuel in the same way as Oil and LPG, but only once the intitial cost of installation is reduced.

What is the installation cost in the UK?
I will then check here in Germany where the technology is very established to see if there is a rippoff happening in the UK.
Another system gaining ground is having a generator (based on a VW engine converted running on natuaral gas) in a soundproofed unit somewhat looking like a gas combi boiler, which feeds into the national grid extra power and is switched on by the EDF etc as they need it so you sell electricity to the net at a good price and a heat exchanger pulls the heat off the engine cooling system to heat your home or block of flats.

Martin

We have a log boiler that heats our home, it burns for about six hours and stores (about 2000lts) heated water. If you fill it once a day it'll use a lorry load of timber (about £800) in two years. It heats a large stone 7 bedroom house at that. It's amazing! Logs are the way forward if you can store them, it stands to reason that chip is more processed and therefore costly. Pellets even more so, but, if you don't have storage, then chip or pellets are cheaper than gas.
Up until recently, infrastructure has been the problem with this type of heating, it's no good having the boiler if you can't get the chip! It's a massive outlay to buy the machinery and storage to start supplying chip too, so it's always good to see new suppliers popping up.

Yes, my neighbor uses 1 metre logs and waste wood but he is a farmer and gets it all for free.
I have an 80 cm wide wood burning oven which takes 33cm logs in the kitchen where we do most of the cooking on it all year round = old house is still cool inside in the summer too. Then I have another wood stove in the living room but it is not yet connected up to the heating water system so that will be my next step, there are so many innovative ideas out there now and wood is co2 neutral compared to oil.
Martin

Yes, my neighbor uses 1 metre logs and waste wood but he is a farmer and gets it all for free.
I have an 80 cm wide wood burning oven which takes 33cm logs in the kitchen where we do most of the cooking on it all year round = old house is still cool inside in the summer too. Then I have another wood stove in the living room but it is not yet connected up to the heating water system so that will be my next step, there are so many innovative ideas out there now and wood is co2 neutral compared to oil.
Martin

What make is your wood burning cooker? And how do you find it?

Andy

Back