HamiltonPark Racecourse,Bothwell Road, ML3 0DW
    Session Content:
    1. Opening address by Linda Fabiani, MSP

2. Code of Practice on Deer Management
    - Opportunities and Responsibilities

3. Ballistics and Improving Rifle Skills

4. Carcass Inspection and Practical Butchery Skills

Attendees complete all sessions.
    Tea, coffee, biscuits, lunch provided (NO CHARGE).

Event starts: 08:00 hrs
    Event finish: 16:30 hrs

Places are limited. Early booking recommended.Notification of places by 16 November.

To book a place contact (preferably using email):
    Mike Cottam
    Best Practice Officer
    Scottish Natural Heritage, Inverness
    Tel: 01463 725373. email: mike.cottam@snh.gov.uk

Who is going to be talking about urban deer on this day?
    Where in the content does urban deer come into this?
    Who is the expert on urban deer in the content?
    I'd like to know if coming to this.
    Or is it a best practice day concerning stalkers south of xyz,ie no urban content but for stalkers that live in urban areas?

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Got to be worth a look.

WILD DEER BEST PRACTICE EVENT

FOR URBAN DEER MANAGERS

Sunday, 25 November 2012.

HamiltonPark Racecourse,Bothwell Road, ML3 0DW

Session Content:
    1. Opening address by Linda Fabiani, MSP

2. Code of Practice on Deer Management
    - Opportunities and Responsibilities

3. Ballistics and Improving Rifle Skills

4. Carcass Inspection and Practical Butchery Skills

Attendees complete all sessions.
    Tea, coffee, biscuits, lunch provided (NO CHARGE).

Event starts: 08:00 hrs
    Event finish: 16:30 hrs

Places are limited. Early booking recommended.Notification of places by 16 November.

To book a place contact (preferably using email):
    Mike Cottam

Best Practice Officer

Scottish Natural Heritage, Inverness

Tel: 01463 725373. email: mike.cottam@snh.gov.uk
    You say its got to be worth a look, Davie, I'd say it requires some content

Codes of practice: Deer stalking needs practical aspects to it not someone to prattle on about whats being said day in and out on various web sites and best practice guides .

Ballistics & Improving Rifle Skills: ballistics hardly something that a deer stalker requires, with shots out to 150 meters rifle skills ,get a rifle in your hands and use it ,it is the only way you will learn the skills required to have constant accuracy, in a varying degree of places standing, sitting, prone, kneeling, standing unsupported of a fence post , under standing backstops etc this is what is required.

Carcass inspection there going to show what,? a deer that has nothing wrong with it again not whats required, do a Gralloch and what ?? show the glands we are all trained hunters or most of us are 90% of us don't even look at the glands , its a Gralloch quick look for and notifiable disease in the bag and on with the days stalking, not stand about and do a meat inspection thats larder work if at all .

Butchery demo: even with a demo by a Butcher most will go away, and still not use or understand venison to the full ,whats needed is to show how easy it is to turn a carcass into sausage, burgers, joints where the venison for your sausage comes of the carcass etc .

Apologies to SNH these days are not easy to put together BUT but the day requires revamping in to a practical day that can be transposed into skills that stalkers actually use on the ground not hours of prattle .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post

Codes of practice: Deer stalking needs practical aspects to it not someone to prattle on about whats being said day in and out on various web sites and best practice guides .

Ballistics & Improving Rifle Skills: ballistics hardly something that a deer stalker requires, with shots out to 150 meters rifle skills ,get a rifle in your hands and use it ,it is the only way you will learn the skills required to have constant accuracy, in a varying degree of places standing, sitting, prone, kneeling, standing unsupported of a fence post , under standing backstops etc this is what is required.

Carcass inspection there going to show what,? a deer that has nothing wrong with it again not whats required, do a Gralloch and what ?? show the glands we are all trained hunters or most of us are 90% of us don't even look at the glands , its a Gralloch quick look for and notifiable disease in the bag and on with the days stalking, not stand about and do a meat inspection thats larder work if at all .

Butchery demo: even with a demo by a Butcher most will go away, and still not use or understand venison to the full ,whats needed is to show how easy it is to turn a carcass into sausage, burgers, joints where the venison for your sausage comes of the carcass etc .

Apologies to SNH these days are not easy to put together BUT but the day requires revamping in to a practical day that can be transposed into skills that stalkers actually use on the ground not hours of prattle .
    Could not have put it any better than that big man.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I am sure this day is a bit early SNH are writing or should be writing a BP guide for urban deer management. I am sure some of that will be used on the day. Alister Mac will no doubt deliver a very good talk on our responsibilities as deer managers re the Waine bill. I know Jim Mc govan will do a good talk on Ballistics as he always dose (SAME OLD SAME OLD YOU SAY) Not quite after talking to Jim he is definitely going to put an urban slant on his talk and i am told he is testing bullets and how they perform at this moment you will be able to see i am sure how your off the shelf bullets perform ballistically. As most of the deer managers that live in and around towns don't actually shoot were they live i am sure this is really aimed at Urban people anyway.
    Butcher coarse well we have all seen that but again i am told this will be a hands on were you can get a knife in your hands guided by a butcher nothing to do with urban but might help a few of us. Carcase inspection well i did ask for that as i thought it might help the lads who are worried when looking for the glands during the lev two assessment.
    I hope Mike dose not mind me writing this and i am sure if the urban was not wrote in we would all be ok with the day.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 26-08-2012 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post

Codes of practice: Deer stalking needs practical aspects to it not someone to prattle on about whats being said day in and out on various web sites and best practise guides

Very well put,

Most of us have been on best practise days, would like to see something a bit more than what one sees on the average best practise day.
    Davie, what content will be unique to urban deer.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Very well put,

Most of us have been on best practise days, would like to see something a bit more than what one sees on the average best practise day.
    Davie, what content will be unique to urban deer.

You coming down? You may learn something......

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    You coming down? You may learn something......

Nutty
    WHO ME!

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    WHO ME!
    Aye you these Beasts aint free ranged.... lol

I might have been interested in coming if there was a bit more involved than in a normal best practice day

Also see you need to book a place, November a very good chance I will be away from home with rough shooting clients, would not be working on a Sunday but a big round trip to come back for this, would mean coming back Saturday late after shooting and travelling back after this to be back for Monday morning

Don't have dates get so can't say for sure, also unfair to book a place and then not turn up that would just be keeping a place from someone else.